Lets talk Tankless water heaters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you just use gas in a water heater during the summer?

If so, you may have a hot water leak or a gas leak
No my stove and oven are also gas. Although I dont cook alot indoors, especially in summer. I think I would smell a gas leak and see a water leak?
Its was a new house as of 2018 and I wouldnt expect any gas or water leaks.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No my stove and oven are also gas. Although I dont cook alot indoors, especially in summer. I think I would smell a gas leak and see a water leak?
Its was a new house as of 2018 and I wouldnt expect any gas or water leaks.
probably right about a gas leak although a small leak outside can be a little tougher.

I believe @Parks 788 had a hot water leak under his slab just before selling his Cali home. Under the slab leaks are more difficult to find. May watch the water meter or record the number and check after an hour without any use and see if it has changed.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
probably right about a gas leak although a small leak outside can be a little tougher.

I believe @Parks 788 had a hot water leak under his slab just before selling his Cali home. Under the slab leaks are more difficult to find. May watch the water meter or record the number and check after an hour without any use and see if it has changed.
I may have quoted the wrong $ amount for my gas. I looked for an email of my last bill and couldnt find it. I think I was thinking of my water, trash and sewer bill. I should get a new gas bill soon I think.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Natural gas to be specific. My tank is 6 years old and is still good but I want to replace it in a year or 2 in order to save on gas. I am the only one in my house (for now) and I use very little hot water so keeping 40 gallons hot 24/7 is a waste.
I used to have this brand in a previous house and it was great (not same model). It will heat 5.3 GPM which is more than adequate for my use, even if I had someone else running hot water at the same time as me.
But these things run in all price ranges so if you have any input on a good brand that wont break the bank, I'd like to hear it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rinnai-V53DeN-Tankless-Water-Heaters/dp/B07MH3C76M/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2PL2GJPBNOMKR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.2NzR8GMFNAJ5m6rj7vYNWd3JZbhFwMhWqAvFSFnGmfC7FhXo-zUVOHixK5do0dfTdym3876h6o7__2UsEJzcSUMqRL6cUPOwJQ9Q9lVwJuFzomDbJDBZ6-Ea-VKuCmjnmbG2p0WnsiA-yDKIQ8_WUqt4EUpNW_z3S9S-4pLGAEUTHt0_cbjkVTcqde15K22c8aYEFpW8qkmM180JsBdKc5AMPhd3ElHKmjKVH90GLjbBgsSIah9cq9gluu1-7qGPGyAaK-aRYiNnS2YgZGM9avy8qK1LUOUSM9rFgiWatOQ.k8kyNus9dkfxNP9H91fYXew7OU1J07LR8115xRppry0&dib_tag=se&keywords=tankless+water+heater+gas&qid=1720032906&sprefix=tankless+water+heater,aps,154&sr=8-6&th=1
This is what I have now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275488229925

Due to the hard water here, it needs flushed with a descaler quarterly. I have five adults here, including myself. It's adequate for our needs. We've had it since December 2022. Had a bit of a problem sourcing the correct vent pipes locally, wound up ordering them. It has, IIRC, a 2.5" or maybe 3" exhaust... And I need to descale it again. Can't adjust the temperature down enough right now. for a while I had it set for the perfect shower temperature without needing to turn on cold water. Descaling will probably fix that again. It's our second tankless. First was a Takagi T-Kjr2 which lasted several years, but crapped out eventually, and parts were either expensive or unobtanium. It was computer controlled. and apparently the computer flaked out. And if you self-install either one, you void the warranty. Both of mine were self-installed. IF I do this again, I'll let Home Depot or Lowes install the next one. Which will be a great deal more expensive, but I'm getting a bit too rickety myself to do this again. I hope, sometime in the next couple of years, to install a water softener so I don't need to keep descaling the poor things.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Top Bottom