LI River today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went today and man was it cold!!!!! The water was shut off all day. My fishing day started out really slow( getting skunked) ice was forming on my rod. Almost went home but decided to try a different spot. I met two real nice guys from the OKC area. They were nice enough to give me some very helpful pointers and my day did a 360. ended up having one of my better days fly fishing.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went today and man was it cold!!!!! The water was shut off all day. My fishing day started out really slow( getting skunked) ice was forming on my rod. Almost went home but decided to try a different spot. I met two real nice guys from the OKC area. They were nice enough to give me some very helpful pointers and my day did a 360. ended up having one of my better days fly fishing.
Was it crowded? My daughter wanted to try fly fishing and we went back on the 31st and it was horrible. people everywhere. I knew it would be and would'nt have went myself but she has never been so I went. All 3 of us got fish but never got to fish the better spots because of the crowds. On another fishing forum I visit they suggest using STP son of a gun protectent on your line and eyes of your fly rod to help with ice. I haven't done it yet but plan on getting some. Glad your day did a 180 and you had a better day. I watched people when I first started fly fishing to try and pick up anything I could from them. It was good they helped you out.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No secret, they just taught me how to strip my fly back to give it action and to go by feel when doing this instead of a strike indicator. I am still new to fly fishing and haven't learned all the ways to do it. It wasn't to bad until about 10:00. Then I had so many people around me it was crazy. I even had on guy see how far I was throwing my fly and then start fishing just past that in front of me. That was another reason why I almost went home.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i4.photobucket.com_albums_y144_JCW355_100_0581.jpg

Daughters first trout.

WRH1234

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats to you and your daughter, JCW355. My wife and I frequent the LI, but use traditional Rod&Reel. We have generally had pretty good luck since the killing season is over... Striper and Trout mostly.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where on the LI abouts are y'all fishing? Not looking to poach your spot, just want a general - my wife has been asking me to teach her some things and I'd like to hit a spot where she might get some action...

WRH1234

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where on the LI abouts are y'all fishing? Not looking to poach your spot, just want a general - my wife has been asking me to teach her some things and I'd like to hit a spot where she might get some action...

We drive to Gore and then up to the dam. There are 2 different parking areas. We tend to fish closer to the dam. Be sure to check the release times. We've not had much luck while they're releasing water. There's also Marvel but you have to pay a day use fee if you're not staying overnight. And there is Gore Landing, but I've not fished there yet...that's good boat access if you have such luxuries. Good luck. Again we're rod and reeler...so power bait and fake worms have worked great for us...<disclaimer> Your results may vary <end disclaimer>

Latest posts

Top Bottom