licenses and tags for deer season???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance as I have never hunted in Oklahoma and haven't hunted anywhere in the last 12 plus years. I have browsed the wildlife department sites and it seems like the season is divided up into several mini seasons that each require its separate license. Is that true? I just bought my hunting fishing license combo and thought that would suffice for deer hunting. Do I in addition need to buy a separate license for each of the following? muzzle load season, archery and modern gun? How much are all of these? What exactly is the general hunting license for if this is the case? I am just trying to make sure I am legal when the time comes. Any and all information is appreciated.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yup. you are right. If you have a lifetime license the tags come with it, but year to year you need to buy tags. One for each of the seasons mentioned, and one for does if you want to shoot any does for any of those seasons. Not sure on archery or black powder as I haven't gotten into them yet, but I know for modern you have to have a seperate doe tag and and buck tag if you plan on taking one of each.

The license is for other game such as quail and pheasant. Deer and turkey (and a few others) you have to get a tag for before you hunt.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to have a license to hunt deer and buy a deer tag though. The license is for all of the animals you hunt, but for animals such as quail and pheasant and a few others you don't have to purchase anything else. If you hunt duck you have to buy a federal duckstamp in addition to your state license regardless if it is lifetime license or not.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One license to hunt, you must buy different tags for each season to hunt deer. The tags are $20 apiece. Out of the 3 deer seasons, you can take only 2 Bucks but not 2 in the same way.... 1 buck with a bow and say one with a rifle, or one with black powder and one with a bow.....you get the idea.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some links to check out the regulations for additional tags you must have in addition to your license.

As you will read, there are tags for deer that must be purchased, as well as tags for turkey, as well as stamps for waterfowl, HIP permits for migratory waterfowl, and the legacy permit. Some areas, turkey need to be checked in and others they don't
90% of this, one doesn't have to pay if they buy a lifetime.
I understand you Haven't hunted in awhile, so as you develop and want to hunt other game, refer to these links.
I've been hunting for about 45 years now, and every year I get the booklet from the wildlife dept and scour it for new information. What I'm looking for is new regs that will keep me from getting in trouble with the Game rangers.
Trust me, if one wants to try and get around the regs, you might get lucky a time or two, but it will catch up, and one ticket is the price of a lifetime license.
Don't hesitate to ask more questions after reading the links. I'm just a hunter/fisherman that believes the rules are there for a reason. That reason is to make sure the sportsmen and sportswomen in this state get a fair shake at our sport. I am hell on earth when poachers try to take advantage of our great resources.

http://wildlifedepartment.com/regulations.htm

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/deer.htm

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/turkey.htm

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/furbeare.htm

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/webless.htm

Mr. E

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can take all of your deer with bow in a single season, bow limits are 6. No more than 2 antlered, but you would have to buy 6 tags. 4 antlerless and 2 antlered. You could also get extra antlerless tags in the antlerless seasons as well that don't count against the six. There is also draw hunts that don't count against your six, but there are tags also. You can look at all this at: wildlifedepartment.com

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the information guys. I would never try to get around the rules. I was just thrown off by the way the licenses and tags are here. In Arkansas you get a certain amount of tags with the license as part of the license purchase which is 25 resident or 300 non resident. Unless you get a 3 or 5 day non resident which is 100 and 150. Anyway, thanks for clarifying for me and thanks for the links.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the information guys. I would never try to get around the rules. I was just thrown off by the way the licenses and tags are here. In Arkansas you get a certain amount of tags with the license as part of the license purchase which is 25 resident or 300 non resident. Unless you get a 3 or 5 day non resident which is 100 and 150. Anyway, thanks for clarifying for me and thanks for the links.

Enjoy your hunts!:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom