Limbsavers barrel de resonator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HaHa Ya I know. I was going to start a new thread about them, but in searching found this!

I figured it was a load of hogwash, but wanted to see if anybody on here just swears by them.

I've heard mixed reviews on them. Some say they work pretty well if they're placed out near the end of the barrel. From what I've seen, the best results that I've noticed seemed to involve longer (22"+) barrels as they would tend to whip more than shorter (thus stiffer) barrels.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not such a great review since it didn't go into detail about the shooting with it. The picture included shows the item in question installed incorrectly. So without a detailed explanation of how it got in that position, or how many positions it was in when shot and those results, the test is a moot point. Sims Labs specifically state that for supported barrels, it should start out 3/4" from the stock, and for free floated barrels, 3/4" from the muzzle, with slight adjustments made for best results. This test looks like they slapped it on, and shot with it. If that's the case, then it at least shows that it did affect the accuracy of that barrel. So it's reasonable to assume, without further data, that it would also affect it in a positive manner if played with up and down the barrel to find the sweet spot.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not such a great review since it didn't go into detail about the shooting with it. The picture included shows the item in question installed incorrectly. So without a detailed explanation of how it got in that position, or how many positions it was in when shot and those results, the test is a moot point. Sims Labs specifically state that for supported barrels, it should start out 3/4" from the stock, and for free floated barrels, 3/4" from the muzzle, with slight adjustments made for best results. This test looks like they slapped it on, and shot with it. If that's the case, then it at least shows that it did affect the accuracy of that barrel. So it's reasonable to assume, without further data, that it would also affect it in a positive manner if played with up and down the barrel to find the sweet spot.

100% agree. Plus they are testing it on TCs - fore-grip is attached to the barrel, and the barrel is not "attached" to receiver, so I really don't know if it has "traditional spiral whip" harmonics anyway.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not adding mass to the barrel. It's just rubber and way too light.

It is adding mass to the barrel. It has mass, you're putting it on the barrel so the vibrating mass has increased.

It simply is designed to intercept the vibration in the barrel as the bullet passes thru it. Once it intercepts that vibration, then in theory, the vibration at the muzzle will be the same each shot. Thus, the bullet will exit the same each time, and accuracy will be improved. The Boss system that Browning has works on the same principle, but it does add mass to the barrel. Still, the reasoning is to cause the barrel to vibrate the same way each time, improving accuracy.

How does it intercept the vibration? Does the vibration just stop where you put the thing? Not likely. With match ammo, the muzzle is at ideally the same point when the bullet exits. This is the whole point of load development. Putting this rubber doohickey will most definitely affect barrel harmonics, but it won't correct the change in vibration caused by round to round loading differences. It just doesn't make any sense.

The Boss system is exactly a tunable weight. It moved the last node fore and aft to tune the vibration at the muzzle to where it is moving as little as possible at the time the bullet exits. This is either at the top or bottom of the stoke.

I will say that if you move this thing around you can get the same effect as the Boss system, but slapping one on your barrel isn't going to magically improve the shot to shot accuracy of the gun unless you get lucky. You have the same probability of negatively affecting accuracy as you do improving it.

I don't think that is accurate Danny.

What part?

See above.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say that if you move this thing around you can get the same effect as the Boss system, but slapping one on your barrel isn't going to magically improve the shot to shot accuracy of the gun unless you get lucky. You have the same probability of negatively affecting accuracy as you do improving it.

Pretty much, since you can't index the de-resonator.

Jesse

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love limbsaver stuff..........But i just cant see how this thing would tighten groups. They have all of that fancy graph charts to show it helps.....HEY WHO KNOWS???????? I think I will pass on my bolt guns.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Their archery stuff is great. Their recoil pads are great. I haven't tried this so I can't say. If I could find one locally maybe, but I gotta order everything around here! I can understand how Sims says it works, but since the last time I shot my rifle and shot sub 1/2" group at 100yds, I don't feel the need.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own two of the units. 1 on my .308 and 1 on my .22 mag. I installed both of them 3/4" forward of my stock. The .308 groups went from 3/4" @ 100 to 1/2" at 100 yds. The .22 mag groups went from 1/4" @ 50 yds to same hole @ 50 yds. I paid $16.00 for each of them. I feel that is an inexpensive improvement to my guns. I have had them for several years and have experienced the improvement. This is experience versus theory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom