Living on the water in a boat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So just thinking out loud here could a person live on the water in a boat in Oklahoma.
Boat tags up to date.
Be like a really long fishing trip.
No rent no utilities.
Gas will be needed if you wish to go somewhere or get to paddling or use a sail boat.
If you were crafty you could set it up with solar energy and or or wind energy.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So just thinking out loud here could a person live on the water in a boat in Oklahoma.
Boat tags up to date.
Be like a really long fishing trip.
No rent no utilities.
Gas will be needed if you wish to go somewhere or get to paddling or use a sail boat.
If you were crafty you could set it up with solar energy and or or wind energy.
I have already thought about this, well living in a house boat on a pond on your property anyway (to avoid high property taxes). But you could live in a house boat if enough people do it they will find a way to tax it though.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think about this every time I see a house boat for sale on FB market place. My only concern is bad weather, because I’ve been on a boat that was almost sunk in the middle of Toledo Bend when a storm came up. It’s not a good experience.

I’ve seen some pretty decent house boats that weren’t stupidly priced, but I’ve also seen some that were at or around $100k.

I think Swampratt’s idea has merit but also agree that the govt will find some way to extract their pound of flesh.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to googling it and there are some that do it at Eufaula at a boat slip but in a house boat.
The post was from 2009 and slip rental was 9 bucks a month + electricity.

I would assume the Tax on the tag for the boat would cover taxes.
I know some people have taken the Arkansas river to the gulf in a house boat.
Long trip and going back up stream if they do that would really cost some coin.

I was fishing below I40 Bridge on the Arkansas river near Gore OK and seen a guy in a kayak paddling up stream.
He came to our little 1975 Bayliner mosquito and I tied him off and the wife and i talked with him.

He had put in the river in NY and had taken the river system all the way here and was going back by the river system.

Awesome and he looked like he was in a kayak for some time.
We offered him some grub and offered him some Bananas and Strawberries.

He said he had just turned the bend about 30 minutes ago and was thinking man I wish I had some strawberries.
I kid you not.
He had his wish come true :)

There is a Free sailboat on craigslist.
Got me to thinking about my drug addicted daughter who is in rehab at this time and i could get her a boat and she could live on it.
Better than a tent in the city of Tulsa.
I hope this rehab fixes her.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought about this 40 or 50 years ago when i was a single younger man and was thinking i found where some lakes has rules against it not sure would have to research it again, so if thinking about a lake you would have to learn the rules for each lake your thinking about.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have posted this before. My wifes friend lives on a sailboat at Texoma during spring and summer. She and her boyfriend used to go to Puerto Vallarta in the winter but got to scary. Now during the winter they are living in Belize. They love this lifestyle and have been doing it for about 5+ years. It is not for everybody.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you rent slip costs are going to be a little more than your 2009 amount. Friend recently sold his houseboat that was kept at No. 9 Marina on Eufaula. I want to think it was 50' and easily slept 8. It was pretty nice and less than $75K. His slip, electricity and sewer cost $400/month. Bigger costs if want to take it out on the water. $300-400 for gas round trip depending on how far out he went.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some here may remember but there was a reality show called "Ice Lake Rebels" that ran for just two seasons (2014-2016) that was about some folks that lived on houseboats on Great Slave Lake up in the NWT mainly I think to avoid property taxes..........not sure how the avoiding property taxes thing would work in Okla.

I used to like watching the show mainly because after landing in Yellowknife and then getting on a float plane to the outpost camp I fished the south end of GSL for pike and walleye on two occasions for a week each trip back in the 90's and every once in awhile the people on the show would be in roughly the same area I was and I could recognize areas close to where I had fished.

Not sure but there may be some YouTube videos about the show.

Latest posts

Top Bottom