Living on the water in a boat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
knew a guy decades ago who refurbished an older yacht on the coast. Spent a decade getting it right for him. Retired at 50 and went sailing around the world. Last I heard of him was about eight years ago. Approach 65, his girlfriend left him years before. He had spent very little money and he was going to pack it up and live on land and find another girlfriend. No idea beyond that. He loved it, saved money. I suspect the boat was no longer sea worthy and needed another complete overhaul.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get a really nice 45’ Carver for less than $250k. You can live on one of those full time. Still gotta go to the store for eats & supplies, and a dock to fill up with fuel/water & dump waste water.

It would be a great life, but it ain’t for everyone.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend in California who lived on a small "cabin cruiser" boat,,,
The boat was small and not water-worthy at all,,,
It resided on a trailer on his property.

He only did it because he inherited the property,,,
And the boat was given to him for free.

That was 25 years ago now,,,
I'll bet that old hill-hippy is still living there.

I have seen where people have bought old yachts,,,
And mounted them on a concrete framework.

There was one in Paradise, California,,,
It was actually a very nice looking place to live.

The old couple sculpted/manicured the lawn around it,,,
It looked like it was floating on 3-foot grass waves.

I assume it went up in smoke when the entire town burned away.

Aarond

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I lived aboard on a couple of sailboats in and around Florida. All I can say is, that phase of my life is over and I certainly don't want to do it again. Cold weather on a boat takes cold to a whole new level. Maintaining a boat is anything but cheap. All boaters know that B.O.A.T. is an acronym for, Break Out Another Thousand. Taxes on my nice warm house are a lot less than the were on my boats. The live-aboard boating community might take a bit of getting used to. They all want to escape the same responsibilities you do. There are some great people living on boats, and there are some not-so-great ones. You don't have much control over who is in the slip next to yours. It sounds like a great adventure when you are sitting in your recliner, but the reality is MUCH less comfortable. I met some really great people and had some really good times, but no thanks to repeating that adventure.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I lived aboard on a couple of sailboats in and around Florida. All I can say is, that phase of my life is over and I certainly don't want to do it again. Cold weather on a boat takes cold to a whole new level. Maintaining a boat is anything but cheap. All boaters know that B.O.A.T. is an acronym for, Break Out Another Thousand. Taxes on my nice warm house are a lot less than the were on my boats. The live-aboard boating community might take a bit of getting used to. They all want to escape the same responsibilities you do. There are some great people living on boats, and there are some not-so-great ones. You don't have much control over who is in the slip next to yours. It sounds like a great adventure when you are sitting in your recliner, but the reality is MUCH less comfortable. I met some really great people and had some really good times, but no thanks to repeating that adventure. never worked so much in my life as when I lived on a boat. Lots of little things that people don't think of.
Just ask anyone that was in the Navy or Coast Guard about living on a boat full time. Seems great when you are younger, but as you get older it starts to be less of an adventure and more of a chore.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about doing that around the Caribbean when I actually retire. The hardest part is the no guns situation. (flare guns and spear guns?) I've sailed all over the US and British VI when I was a kid and the modern electronics available now are amazing.
Capt Q has some good videos to see what boat prices are like.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive heard stories of old widow women that just liquidate the estate and spend the last ten or so years of their life living on a cruise ship with all of the amenities you could ever want. I don't know if anyone ever did it but it would be nice if you had a respectable nest egg...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just ask anyone that was in the Navy or Coast Guard about living on a boat full time. Seems great when you are younger, but as you get older it starts to be less of an adventure and more of a chore.
I like boats. For a day. As someone who spent 13 months at sea, I'm over living on water. :)

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ive heard stories of old widow women that just liquidate the estate and spend the last ten or so years of their life living on a cruise ship with all of the amenities you could ever want. I don't know if anyone ever did it but it would be nice if you had a respectable nest egg...
Hmmm...How old and how rich? :D

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to googling it and there are some that do it at Eufaula at a boat slip but in a house boat.
The post was from 2009 and slip rental was 9 bucks a month + electricity.

I would assume the Tax on the tag for the boat would cover taxes.
I know some people have taken the Arkansas river to the gulf in a house boat.
Long trip and going back up stream if they do that would really cost some coin.

I was fishing below I40 Bridge on the Arkansas river near Gore OK and seen a guy in a kayak paddling up stream.
He came to our little 1975 Bayliner mosquito and I tied him off and the wife and i talked with him.

He had put in the river in NY and had taken the river system all the way here and was going back by the river system.

Awesome and he looked like he was in a kayak for some time.
We offered him some grub and offered him some Bananas and Strawberries.

He said he had just turned the bend about 30 minutes ago and was thinking man I wish I had some strawberries.
I kid you not.
He had his wish come true :)

There is a Free sailboat on craigslist.
Got me to thinking about my drug addicted daughter who is in rehab at this time and i could get her a boat and she could live on it.
Better than a tent in the city of Tulsa.
I hope this rehab fixes her.
Rehab comes down to willpower and desire. Hopefully rehab helps for her

Latest posts

Top Bottom