Load development question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My New Lapua cases shot better after my initial firing of them.
I then ran my calipers into a neck of a new case and measured the ID while slowly turning the case and found them to be very rough.

You can feel the roughness of the case neck ID through the calipers like feeling a fish nibble on a fishing line.
I was brushing neck insides at that time and decided to Full length size those and brush them and groups were better.
Still slightly better after the first firing though.
Once I find some decent brass, I’ll go ahead and uniform the necks

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something else to check on your cases like you do not check enough things now.
Size of case after firing.
If you are anal about prep and measuring and annealing and get a flier or 2 in a group
mark those cases and measure the Neck OD and compare it with the other cases.
I have found some cases in the same lot will cause a flier and when I check neck OD I find it is different than other cases which makes me feel the alloy is not quite the same.

That is if every thing was done spot on the money.

I have read a bench rest shooter will take their cases and fire them and mark the fliers and shoot those marked cases again and make sure it was not the handloader error.

If they get a flier out of that case a second time that case is no longer allowed to play in the shoot some tight group games.

OOOHHHH So much work i almost hate it.
It was nice to get a couple 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers recently to play with though.
Stock trigger pull was brutal on one when trying to hold on target at 200 yards.
Trigger pull would move the aim point just a tick off target and the better trigger one has 6.7 lbs of pull and does the same thing but not as bad.

Now the bad trigger pull one is 2.6 to 2.7 lbs of pull. Clean break no grit or creep.

I am sure you got the trigger dialed in on your rifle.
Or hope so.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something else to check on your cases like you do not check enough things now.
Size of case after firing.
If you are anal about prep and measuring and annealing and get a flier or 2 in a group
mark those cases and measure the Neck OD and compare it with the other cases.
I have found some cases in the same lot will cause a flier and when I check neck OD I find it is different than other cases which makes me feel the alloy is not quite the same.

That is if every thing was done spot on the money.

I have read a bench rest shooter will take their cases and fire them and mark the fliers and shoot those marked cases again and make sure it was not the handloader error.

If they get a flier out of that case a second time that case is no longer allowed to play in the shoot some tight group games.

OOOHHHH So much work i almost hate it.
It was nice to get a couple 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers recently to play with though.
Stock trigger pull was brutal on one when trying to hold on target at 200 yards.
Trigger pull would move the aim point just a tick off target and the better trigger one has 6.7 lbs of pull and does the same thing but not as bad.

Now the bad trigger pull one is 2.6 to 2.7 lbs of pull. Clean break no grit or creep.

I am sure you got the trigger dialed in on your rifle.
Or hope so.
Trigger is pretty critical for good shooting

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trigger is pretty critical for good shooting
I used to think it wasn't but I was only shooting 100 yards and happy with under 1" groups.
Once I began shooting for a good group at 200- 500 yards I found out how much you really pull the weapon off target and then need to readjust if the thing did not go off yet.

:)

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4DF2EE98-DBDB-46B8-A046-F13F70CCAF28.jpeg

Norma brass tightened it up some, 5 shots at 100yds. Last shot was the lower shot, which I think was me( got a little nervous that I had such a good group,lol)

Latest posts

Top Bottom