PFFFT went the IMR4064

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so you all or most of you all know have made mouse fart loads.
But with Red Dot powder or Bullseye.
I have made reduced rifle loads with H4895 as it is known as an able powder for that.

Many people have ran other powders in reduced loads.
Decades ago there was literature on reduced loads with many different powders.

People today kind of stick to modern manuals and that is fine and dandy but as we know old tried true loads are way forgotten.

I do not have any old books on reduced loads.
Most very slow powders are dangerous this way and some say IMR 4064 has been used for reduced loads just like H4895.

Reason i bring this up is I went shooting with a buddy to dial in his .308 and he made some loads I told him to make 4064 and 168A max at 42 gr.

Well his scale is not easy for him to read and he made a bunch of reduced loads.
Yea 2 were shot and they both had no recoil and went PFFFT when they left the barrel.

Luckily I had made the same loads but with neck turned Lapua cases and they worked awesome for him.
He got his buck opening day.
Lost 1 front shoulder and exploded the heart :)

So 25.2 gr goes PFFFT from a 22" barrel.
I read about reduced by 60% for H4895 and 4064 but wild swings in velocity with 4064 unless filler is used to keep the powder on the primer.

Does anyone here have old books that show reduced rifle loads with that powder??
Not that I want to as I love my Red Dot but very curious.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe not what you are looking for. But here is what I have from a book dated 1968/1969.

20231119_175644.jpg

20231119_175209.jpg
20231119_175218.jpg
20231119_175234.jpg
20231119_175246.jpg

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe something in a cast lead bullet with 4064 powder would show some reduced load.
Years ago I thought that I was going to start making my own lead bullets and bought a RCBS book but I never did and have no intentions of starting.

You can have this book for future reference if you want it....hard cover, looks brand new, dated 1986 and has 172 pages.

EDIT : Other powders and bullet weights are listed in the book but for .308 the book only shows data for 4064 using 148 gr cast bullets.

Min 29.0 grs. 1721 fps.......max 31.0 grs. 1860 fps.

22" barrel.....1-10 twist.

cbm.jpg

Last edited:

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so you all or most of you all know have made mouse fart loads.
But with Red Dot powder or Bullseye.
I have made reduced rifle loads with H4895 as it is known as an able powder for that.

Many people have ran other powders in reduced loads.
Decades ago there was literature on reduced loads with many different powders.

People today kind of stick to modern manuals and that is fine and dandy but as we know old tried true loads are way forgotten.

I do not have any old books on reduced loads.
Most very slow powders are dangerous this way and some say IMR 4064 has been used for reduced loads just like H4895.

Reason i bring this up is I went shooting with a buddy to dial in his .308 and he made some loads I told him to make 4064 and 168A max at 42 gr.

Well his scale is not easy for him to read and he made a bunch of reduced loads.
Yea 2 were shot and they both had no recoil and went PFFFT when they left the barrel.

Luckily I had made the same loads but with neck turned Lapua cases and they worked awesome for him.
He got his buck opening day.
Lost 1 front shoulder and exploded the heart :)

So 25.2 gr goes PFFFT from a 22" barrel.
I read about reduced by 60% for H4895 and 4064 but wild swings in velocity with 4064 unless filler is used to keep the powder on the primer.

Does anyone here have old books that show reduced rifle loads with that powder??
Not that I want to as I love my Red Dot but very curious.
I may have little brother. Give me a call this weekend. I'll be in the loading room both mornings. Scooter

Latest posts

Top Bottom