Load failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been shooting Nosler 100 grain bullets over Reloader 17 in the 243WSSM 1:10 twist that are tack drivers at 3300fps give or take a couple.
Haven’t shot it in awhile, thinking a 80 grain Barnes TTSX might make a great hunting round at a target speed of 3500 fps. Made up a couple different loads and went to the range.
First 4 were everywhere.

IMG_2337.jpeg

Put another load of 4 down range printing low right with no scope changes. They were everywhere. The four rounds on the low right.
(1/4” grid on the target)
IMG_2336.jpeg

Returned to the proven 100 grain Noslers using the same bull. Three shots, two holes which is the norm for this barrel.
IMG_2335.jpeg
IMG_2338.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never liked the banded looking bullets.. I feel less surface area and less stability but it is just in my head probably but I have never bought any.
The bands are added to reduce copper fouling. In the early days of solid copper bullets, the bullets were horrible about shedding copper into the rifling so they changed to the banded.
I shoot the 165 grain TTSX in the 30-06 with great results.
I’m thinking the twist wasn’t compatible with the bullet?
I’ll try some other brands but the accuracy of the 100 grain Noslers has been consistently accurate.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was getting and still get great groups from 64 PSP Winchester in my .223 bolt gun.
Switched to 60 gr BarnesX and got buck shot groups. Took a lot of loadings in different powder weights and seating length, before finally that sweet spot.

Same thing with 7Mag when switching from 140 gr Hornady Ballistic Tip to 120 gr BarnesX.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My BIL has an AR that tumbles 55 and 62 grain green tip with a 1:7 twist at 30 yards. I can't see a thing wrong with the barrel. 1:7 should stabilize the hell out of them, but it don't. Even my ammo that's 1 MOA and shoots into the same ragged hole in my rifle does it.

A friend's .22-250 throws 40 grain bullets all over like that, but will shoot 55's into a single hole. It's a heavy barrel varmint Ruger 77 with a huge a$$ scope.

Your 80 grain Barnes could be closer or farther off the lands than your 100 grain tack drivers and not playing well. Could be that bullet doesn't work well with that powder. Could be your barrel just doesn't like them too like the ones above.

Your Nosler load is money, I'd hang on to that one.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My BIL has an AR that tumbles 55 and 62 grain green tip with a 1:7 twist at 30 yards. I can't see a thing wrong with the barrel. 1:7 should stabilize the hell out of them, but it don't. Even my ammo that's 1 MOA and shoots into the same ragged hole in my rifle does it.

A friend's .22-250 throws 40 grain bullets all over like that, but will shoot 55's into a single hole. It's a heavy barrel varmint Ruger 77 with a huge a$$ scope.

Your 80 grain Barnes could be closer or farther off the lands than your 100 grain tack drivers and not playing well. Could be that bullet doesn't work well with that powder. Could be your barrel just doesn't like them too like the ones above.

Your Nosler load is money, I'd hang on to that one.
A. chuck up BIL barrel in lathe and re-cut muzzle crown ( cheapest and easiest}
B. Rugers are notorious for preferring heavier bullets. My RAP shoots 4in with 55's. dime size with 65's and I;m a lousy shot. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom