Loaded mag ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this was covered on the XD mags, but I am wanting to know on others. I have always been told to rotate my AR mags.
Here is the question.
Does it hurt the springs in my AK, AR, and 10-22 mags to leave them loaded?
I like to keep a few in the safe ready to go. I would load alot more if I knew I could keep them loaded for a long period. Thanks everyone.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The springs... pretty much what's been already stated. Expecially for the stacked mags. Cycling eventually wears out a spring.

I would worry about the feed lips going out of spec. The upward force of the compressed spring trying to shove the cartridges up and out was thought to cause failure in the early mil contract M16 magazines. If you had a pistol mag that was not heat treated correctly.. the same issue could occur.

If I was really worried about this issue (and I'm not --- the few "loaded" mags I keep get shot off a few times a year) I'd short load the mag a couple of cartridges.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Springs are not like live animals, and they don't "rest" or "recover."
There is a certain amount of use in a properly made and engineered spring, and when that is gone, it is time to replace it. A badly designed or made spring fails quickly, and often will not tolerate being fully loaded even once.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The spring killers are stretching and compression beyond the design limit.

If a spring is properly manufactured, it'll last a very long time under normal use. But, if it's stretched or it's compressed too much, it'll fail much much sooner. CB

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This another OLD wifes tale that will not die , no matter how many times a stake is driven into it's heart. Back when anyones daddys were in short pants there was some issues with springs ,but not any more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom