Lodge Cast Iron at Woot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, shite. <sigh>

<edit> That much I can see now.... it's been a few years since I used a grinder. I didn't even think of that. Of course, I don't have one of those... man, this is already becoming a major PITA.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, Danny, how do I attach that damn cup brush to my drill? I've now bought 2 wire cup brushes that I didn't realize were for finishing, not removal, now I've bought one like you showed up there, but I didn't realize it was threaded for a bolt somehow. How does that fit on my drill?

With the damn brushes to improve the finish, I've now spent more than I did on the damn cast iron skillet itself!

Oh no, I'm so sorry you've spent so much time on this. I just used the first picture of a cup brush I could reach with a Google image search.

This is what you'll need for a power drill: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-P...-PWW020CUPD01G/202831065?N=5yc1vZc26kZ1z0y838

$4.17. I can't remember if this is the exact one I use (I think I have a Dewalt), but it works great for what I use it for. It's a cheapie, so don't expect it to last a lifetime, but I've worked a few cast iron pieces and a random, unrelated project with mine. I see a couple broken bristles in the CI after I'm done, but the brush is far from over with.

If you don't shop at Home Depot, what you'll need is a 2" wire cup brush with a shank that can be inserted into the chuck of your power drill.

There may be a chuck adapter that could work for what you just bought, but these other guys might be better confirming that.

If you'd like to meet up at a hardware store, I will buy what you need. It would be my way of apologizing for misleading you to the wrong product.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a new skillet yesterday and am using Danny Tanner's method on it. Seems to be working fabulously. I'm on my 3rd seasoning now so I'll have to test it out later, but I think its going to be great. I think I could fry an egg no problem on the 2nd seasoning.

One caveat is that the wire cup wheel just didn't smooth it enough for me. So I used this right here followed by the wire wheels.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh no, I'm so sorry you've spent so much time on this. I just used the first picture of a cup brush I could reach with a Google image search.

This is what you'll need for a power drill: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-P...-PWW020CUPD01G/202831065?N=5yc1vZc26kZ1z0y838
<snip>

If you'd like to meet up at a hardware store, I will buy what you need. It would be my way of apologizing for misleading you to the wrong product.

No, no... that is what I bought initially... I have two of those, a larger and a smaller. I worked on the skillet for about 10 minutes with the larger one, but couldn't see any appreciable difference, so I went looking for the other one (which I passed up the first time because it was like $16). Hell, I mean, I may just buy a grinder to use it on! Any excuse to buy more tools, right? :D

Maybe what I didn't understand was how much time it would take to smooth out the cast iron? When you use that wire finishing brush, how much time do you need to spend? I got the impression it might take quite a while, an hour or a couple of hours? Just working on it for 10 minutes or so didn't seem to have much, if any, effect. I can see that the heavier-duty one I bought would knock it down really quick, plus, on a grinder it will be traveling MUCH faster.

Guess I just need a bit more clarification on what to expect?

BTW, I had a friend over this weekend who tried to tell me to never ever use any kind of steel brush on my cast iron (after I told her what those brushes laying there were for). I tried to explain that I was going to smooth it out, THEN season it, and she continued to lecture me that you never, ever want to do anything like that to cast, just cook in it and wipe it out.... as she then proceeded to wash it with soap and hot water after my last cornbread batch. lol

;)

Sometimes it's hard to get a word in edgewise to explain, so I just nodded and went on... I'll get it all sorted eventually. lol

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, no... that is what I bought initially... I have two of those, a larger and a smaller. I worked on the skillet for about 10 minutes with the larger one, but couldn't see any appreciable difference, so I went looking for the other one (which I passed up the first time because it was like $16). Hell, I mean, I may just buy a grinder to use it on! Any excuse to buy more tools, right? :D

Maybe what I didn't understand was how much time it would take to smooth out the cast iron? When you use that wire finishing brush, how much time do you need to spend? I got the impression it might take quite a while, an hour or a couple of hours? Just working on it for 10 minutes or so didn't seem to have much, if any, effect. I can see that the heavier-duty one I bought would knock it down really quick, plus, on a grinder it will be traveling MUCH faster.

Guess I just need a bit more clarification on what to expect?

BTW, I had a friend over this weekend who tried to tell me to never ever use any kind of steel brush on my cast iron (after I told her what those brushes laying there were for). I tried to explain that I was going to smooth it out, THEN season it, and she continued to lecture me that you never, ever want to do anything like that to cast, just cook in it and wipe it out.... as she then proceeded to wash it with soap and hot water after my last cornbread batch. lol

;)

Sometimes it's hard to get a word in edgewise to explain, so I just nodded and went on... I'll get it all sorted eventually. lol

I usually spend about 20 minutes and I only do the cooking surface. I have my drill on the highest speed, too. This is after a hot soapy water soak and scrub for a few minutes. I grind it until it's almost silvery inside. Using steel wool isn't the best idea on cast iron after it's been seasoned. If you must use soap, use it very sparingly and use a mild detergent, but before and after grinding is the only time I use soap. At the most abrasive, you could use a non-scratch scouring pad for cleaning. Amazon sells a product called "chain mail" that people love, but I have no experience with it. I use a Pampered Chef pizza stone scraper for any bits and then for after-cooking cleaning, I use a little bit of vegetable oil, a pinch of coarse salt, and a nylon scrubbing pad. I mainly use this after searing steaks or cooking burgers, something that requires a higher heat. I then wipe out the salt and oil with a paper towel until completely dry. Run the skillet on a burner for about 10-15 minutes on medium-high heat, kill the heat, and then rub with lard. I initially said Crisco, but Crest has started stocking lard on the shelves and I now use that.

For stuck cornbread, I pre-heat my skillet in the oven first before adding the batter. Doing this helps speed up a crust and avoid sticking.

If all else fails, grab some sandpaper!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay 'y'all listen up!

Danny Tanner's seasoning method works fantastic. Do it just like he said but I'll put more emphasis where needed.

Do whatever you are going to do to prep your iron (sand, grind, oven cleaner, whatever).

1) 200 degree oven for 15 minutes.
2) Out of oven and coat liberally with Crisco shortening, let it stand wet and glistening for a minute or two, then WIPE IT ALL OFF with a paper towel (the blue ones work great).
3) bump the oven to 300 degrees and back in it goes for 15 minutes
4) remove, then bump oven to 400 degrees and give it another wipe. WIPE IT ALL OFF You may see little spots of oil on the surface. Wipe this chit off!
5) Back in it goes for at least an hour (I went 2 hours)
6) Turn oven off and leave it in oven until room temperature.
7) Repeat the WHOLE process
8) Repeat the WHOLE process AGAIN.

I've baked iron skillets and dutch ovens by coating liberally and baking at 350 for years. All I've ever got was a sticky uneven coating of built up oil on the surface and never had one truly get non-stick. This way flat works and you end up with a golden brown even and slick surface. I went right to frying eggs (over easy) this morning and it was perfection this way. I cooked a skillet pizza tonight and it slid right out, I didn't even have to wash the damn thing after the pizza. Tomorrow I'm going to bake a couple of loads of cornbread for the squirrels and birds. I think it will be bullet proof after that. Note that this was on a brand new Lodge skillet bought Saturday that I sanded and wire wheeled the inside of.

Edit to add pics:
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Note: It IS considerably darker than these photos show. I can never get the right color on anything when shooting photos indoors. :(
Also you can see that I didn't sand all of the occlusions out, I just wanted to knock the tops off of the high spots of the cast surface.

Last edited:

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a dutch oven and would like to smooth it down. All I have an orbital sander. What kind of sandpaper do you suggest on this? I have a very coarse grades that will fit on the disc of the orbital sander. If that's not required, then I'll just go get a wire brush for an electric drill 1/4" chuck. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom