Look what’s following me home!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's been my dream to get a lathe. I was ready to buy but then we decided to move so I didn't want to have to move it.
Even if you have to get a mini-lathe, get a lathes. The 7x10's like mine weigh in at about 130 lbs. 7x12 is a bit heavier, and should handle 7"x14" material if you're counting center to center. Or look for an Atlas or Craftsman lathes. My Atlas TH42 counts as a 10x24 or thereabouts, and weighs about 267lbs.Other Atlas/Craftsman lathes can be up to 10 or 12x36, aren't a great deal heavier. They also can use any of the Morse Taper (MT) 3 and MT2 accessories the HF and similar 7x lathes can use. You can find import 7x14 & 7x16 mini-lathes, too. Under about 175lbs. In heavier, and harder to move lathes, there are South Bend lathes from 9"-24". I saw a SB 13"x96" (yeah, 8' bed) for $1000 years ago, about when I had trouble scraping up the $269 my first lathes cost me. That same lathes is currently $739.99 if you're a HF Inside-Track member, or $779.99 normal price. Their 7x12 is $799.99. I'd say the extra 2" of bed length is worth $20. :)

It will give you time to learn or relearn how to use a lathes while you're waiting for a better lathe to show up. Unless you already know what you're doing with a lathe, which, it turned out, I did not, 34 years after my first class.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a unimat but it is limited. I can do alum and brass.
I have two Unimats, and they can do steel. You just have to take very small cuts, with very sharp tools. Be patient! Which is hard for me, too. ;) Are you a member of the Unimat group at groups.io? If not, you should join, and see what can be done with a Unimat! Unimat groups.io Group I'm a moderator there, not an owner. I am an owner at one of the smaller mini-lathe groups. Mini-Lathes groups.io Group it's not real active, but there is info there that can be applied to the Unimats, as well. A gentleman named Mert Baker, now passed, once made a barrell for a 9mm Lugar pistol on a Unimat, and there are folks doing rifle work on Mini-lathes.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. My dad got it after he retired in Florida. I got it after he passed. It came in a wood box. I have some very thin what appear to be cutting tools. They have a profile cut in them I guess you then grind the relief angles. Haven't figured out how to put them in the tool holder.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. My dad got it after he retired in Florida. I got it after he passed. It came in a wood box. I have some very thin what appear to be cutting tools. They have a profile cut in them I guess you then grind the relief angles. Haven't figured out how to put them in the tool holder.
Join the Unimat group I mentioned, and you'll find some very interesting things that can be done on and with a Unimat. Also, if you don't have the documentation for your Unimat, you can download a PDF of it. I sign as Bill in OKC there, though I actually live in Del City.

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe a VFD is the easiest and cheapest way to go. Teco is a great brand, Seimens lack a user friendly interface. Stay clear of Eaton.

seems like this thd got off the beaten path with the unimat users....
these vfd's are dedicated to be used on 1 machine , cost approx. 750 plus they are very tempermental.....as i previously said make your own it will be capable of running several machines....do a google on 3 phase convertors , i saw 1 exactly as i described......give more info on your lathe , as to name , speeds , feeds , country of mfg., is threading dual (metric & english , belt drive??? show some detailed pics too......... nuff said..........STEVE

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
these vfd's are dedicated to be used on 1 machine , cost approx. 750 plus they are very tempermental.....as i previously said make your own it will be capable of running several machines....do a google on 3 phase convertors , i saw 1 exactly as i described......give more info on your lathe , as to name , speeds , feeds , country of mfg., is threading dual (metric & english , belt drive??? show some detailed pics too......... nuff said..........STEVE
$750 $eems a bit high.

Teco Variable Frequency Drive, 3HP, 230 Volts 1 Phase Input, 230 Volts 3 Phase Output, L510-203-H1-N, VFD Inverter for AC Motor Control https://a.co/d/4yt1x0T
$365.00

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my VFD used off ebay for about $50. Similar VFD's with the same rating are available for about $114 new. Mine is a TECO L510, .5hp, 115vac 1p input, 230vac 3p output. A similar model rated for 230vac 1p input, 230vac 3p output, 2hp, is $238. Some of those are imports, but WEG is a good brand of import.

They can be used on one machine. Doesn't have to be that way, though. Build a place to hang it, and a way to plug and unplug it, and you could move it from machine to machine.

NOT saying a rotary converter isn't worth doing, but unless you have a source of really cheap large 3phase motors, it's going to be expensive to build. I had one machine that I wanted to put a 3ph gear motor on, thrown away at my work, and they told me as long as it left the building they didn't care what happened to it. If I can ever get the motor mounted, it should drive my old Lewis Shaper just fine. A plate, and connectors, as I mentioned, and I could move it from the shaper to the old woodworking Craftsman Bandsaw, and make it run that, too, for metal cutting. Final output on the shaft is 600RPM at 1/2hp. That being the only 3ph motor I have that I need to run, right now, it wouldn't make sense for me to build a large Rotary Converter for one machine. I did get an old 3phase motor with my Heavy 10L, but it's either very old, or a couple of HP, or both, and the lathe shipped from the factory with a 3/4HP 1phase motor. It doesn't need that heavy a motor. 3phase motors have some benefits besides the power, but unless you're doing space-qualified parts you probably don't need those benefits.

Though if you have a bunch of 3phase machines, and no 3phase power, that's another thing entirely.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got it wired up to the rotary phase converter and running. For about the same price as a decent VFD with all the ancillary additional parts I got this new and this is plug and play.

63B180D3-90D7-45BE-A334-E3221071DA6C.jpeg

7F7ACBD1-D631-4258-9072-AEE0FCB17A82.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom