Looking at smaller CCs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning to get a little smaller CC than my Glock 21sf probably in the spring. Was wanting to get some opinions from those who have had experiences with these. Currently looking at these in 40 s&w:

Springfield XD Mod.2
S & W M&P Shield
Ruger SR40c
That new Glock 19x (or 23 whatever the .40 is) or more likely the G27 (for pricing)
and although I haven't found a model that's a good fit, I really like the Sig Sauer

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of everything you listed, I'd go with the G27. S&W had some issues with the Shield in .40. Dunno if they got it right.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not looking to start a caliber argument so don't take it that way. But have you considered going to 9mm for more selection and larger capacity for the size?

Using Ruger here because that's what I'm familiar with.
I have used the SR9c and really liked it for it's size. Or you could even go to a LC9s for something smaller.

Of course for your current list I would have to go with the SR40c. :gun2:

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not looking to start a caliber argument so don't take it that way. But have you considered going to 9mm for more selection and larger capacity for the size?

Using Ruger here because that's what I'm familiar with.
I have used the SR9c and really liked it for it's size. Or you could even go to a LC9s for something smaller.

Of course for your current list I would have to go with the SR40c. :gun2:

I'm not against a 9 at all. Several years ago I had a Ruger P90 9mm, absolutely loved it, was one of the smoothest, comfortable shooting pistols I've ever shot, if not the best of all I've shot.

As I said, I am just starting to look, and take my time, since the Glock 21sf I bought on spastic whim, just had to have it. I love it too, it's very comfortable, nice trigger pull, balanced... Just not the best choice for CC.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna second going with the 9mm for CC. There are a better number of platforms for CC in 9mm than any other caliber IMO.

Lots of good single stack 9mm options...

Glock 43
Walther PPS
Springfield XDS
S&W Shield
Ruger LC9s

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used my son's XDS .45 Single Stack, it shoots smooth, but too uncomfortable. The thin grip causes it to dig into the base of my thumb, and even after only 20 rounds, I was done with it.

I really like the looks of the SR9c all but the billboard on the side of the slide, just disgraces the whole looks of the gun to me, other than that it would probably be the front runner.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used my son's XDS .45 Single Stack, it shoots smooth, but too uncomfortable. The thin grip causes it to dig into the base of my thumb, and even after only 20 rounds, I was done with it.

I really like the looks of the SR9c all but the billboard on the side of the slide, just disgraces the whole looks of the gun to me, other than that it would probably be the front runner.

You don't buy a CC gun for the looks lol.