Looking to buy my first press...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
after some reading I've pretty much settled on the Lee Classic Turret 4 hole press as my first hand at reloading. Though I've searched out prices I'm a little confused on some of the kits offered and don't want to jump on one and find out its not going to be "all I need" to make ammo.

Primarily I will be loading 9mm and .40 cal to start, so I know I need (2) turrets and a set of dies for each caliber, in some of the kits it shows the primer dealio, can one primer case dispenser be used for both calibers?

In short can someone enlighten me on exactly what I need ??

I have the brass covered for the most part but not sure how to clean it, I'm getting a tumbler but what do I put in it?

Some dies claim you wont need to lube casings?? I would like to skip lubing if applicable...

please feel free to chastise me as I'm as green as they come, but after shooting 400rds of 9,40 yesterday I have to do something......

Rob

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel 4 dies are needed to make a completed round.
although my hi-point gets by with 3 dies as i can skip the lee factory carbide crimp die.
That Die sizes the case so it will fit in most if not all chambers it also applies a nice gentle crimp, or if you wish to set it up with care it will just remove the bell mouth you put on the case.

I use Lee carbide dies and they have worked awesome for thousands of rounds.
And my lee auto disc powder measure drops my powder with excellent consistency.

Although you will need a scale either beam or electronic..I prefer a 505 beam scale.
This will be needed to check weight of powder loads..
Yes the disc measures have a CC load by volume ..but batch to batch the CC volume changes and you really need to weigh then set the auto powder dropper. Or whatever you wish to call it.

You can buy a harbour freight rock tumbler and stainless pins some Lemi-shine from the local wal-mart etc and some dawn or palmolive. Or you can make your own pins for about 3 bucks if you are crafty.

Or you can clean the vibratory way with walnut media and a vibratory cleaner.

As you have seen there are many ways to make a tumbler to clean with pins..again being crafty..
Much more satisfaction in it that way also:)
This is all about making your own and hands on approach.

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the kits are the way to go to get started but they do not include everything you need. I have never used a turret so I can't speak for those. I learned on a single stage press and used it until i was very comfortable loading. I then moved up to a progressive. I still use the single stage regularly. There are several important items that are not included in the kits. Calipers, a must have. A vibratory, wet tubler, ultrasonic cleaner, or some way to clean your brass. I use a vibratory tumbler and walnut media. If you ever move into reloading rifle then you will need a case trimmer. You will also need a couple different reloading manuals. You can never have too much information when it comes to load data. My main "go to" books are Hornady and Sierra. I also own a Speer and Nosler manual. I reference the Hodgdon data online as well. Lee makes a great hand tool for priming. I use the Lee Autoprime instead of the priming system on the single stage press. A chronograph is the only way to know what your rounds are truly doing when they leave the barrel. Some will say that a chronograph is a "must have", others never use one. I think it is a great tool to have but not a necessity when starting out. You can buy the "carbide" pistol dies and skip the case lube when loading straight wall pistol rounds. The more you get into it the more you will find that you "need" certain tools and accessories. I find reloading very enjoyable. Some days I don't know if I reload so I can shoot or if I shoot so I can reload.

Check out Jerry's Reloading in Tulsa. That store is the holy grail of local reloading supplies. I think they also offer classes. That might be a good way to get your hands on some equipment and "try before you buy".

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can do it on the cheap or you can go whole hog. swampratt summed it up pretty well, as to the tumbling media if you go with a vibratory tumbler, I buy the Lizzard Litter at petsmart. a big bag is pretty cheap and works as well as any of the other walnut media. I've not used the Lee turret press, but it should do what you want. A good powder scale is an absolute must and the 505 beam scale from RCBS is a good way to go. I have a few electronic scales and always double check with the beam scale before setting my powder measures. One of the biggest failures in loading 9mm or .40 is not getting the case flare pushed back in enough. The Lee Factory Crimp die removes any concern about that when properly used. One of the best loading manuals is the "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. Buy it from www.midwayusa.com as it is cheaper there than anywhere else I have looked. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Lee carbide dies and they have worked awesome for thousands of rounds.
Not trying to cop out on lubing but I've heard with carbide you can somewhat bypass the lube step... (trial and error will see)

Although you will need a scale either beam or electronic..
I have a calibrated digital that is pretty much right on..

You can buy a harbour freight rock tumbler and stainless pins some Lemi-shine from the local wal-mart etc and some dawn or palmolive. Or you can make your own pins for about 3 bucks if you are crafty.
I make knives and have decided to buy the big tumbler from HF so I can start tumbling blades as well plus I have a slew of stainless rods, two birds, one stone

Or you can clean the vibratory way with walnut media and a vibratory cleaner.
I've heard walnut media sometimes gets stuck in the ejector flare?

As you have seen there are many ways to make a tumbler to clean with pins..again being crafty..
Much more satisfaction in it that way also:)

This is all about making your own and hands on approach.
Once I get hands on I'm sure I'll find a solution that works for me, I like tests... :)

Calipers, a must have.
I'm set there.
You can buy the "carbide" pistol dies and skip the case lube when loading straight wall pistol rounds. The more you get into it the more you will find that you "need" certain tools and accessories. I find reloading very enjoyable. Some days I don't know if I reload so I can shoot or if I shoot so I can reload.
been there with knives, I now have thousands into tools, materials :) I have a feeling reloading in and of itself is going to be very fun, and shooting your own 'handmade' rounds even more exciting. something about crafting your own tools, makes for a warm and fuzzy

Check out Jerry's Reloading in Tulsa. That store is the holy grail of local reloading supplies. I think they also offer classes. That might be a good way to get your hands on some equipment and "try before you buy".
Good idea, I've have to check them out for sure

I buy the Lizzard Litter at petsmart.
I heard some use kitty litter? I think I may stay away from walnut, and may concoct a solution of variables...One of the best loading manuals is the "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. Buy it from www.midwayusa.com as it is cheaper there than anywhere else I have looked. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
I will have to look into that, and thanks for the welcome...

Another press option for you would be a Dillon Square Deal B. Can't beat Dillon's no BS warranty and customer service.
Funny you mention that I was checking the thread to update that I have now decided to 'bite the bullet' and get a Dillion RL550B, not quite sure what the square deal is..?? I may have to sell off a gun or something to make this happen, we'll see... luckily the wife wants to start shooting again so I may not have to.. :)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well then, you'll be real happy with that 550!

The square deal is their bottom line entry level progressive press. They use proprietary dies and are pistol calibers only. But for their purpose they are just as good quality wise as their bigger brothers and a lot of competition shooters just buy one for a specific caliber and dial in their load and just roll with that. They have sold a bunch of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom