Looking to maybe deer hunt for the first time this season. Help!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. As for scent, make sure your scent cone (the path your scent will take in the wind) will not cross any major trails the deer will be using. Also a 3 dollar spray bottle of red fox urine, or skunk scent works pretty well. I wash my clothes and all that and have noticed a little difference but I also bow hunt from the ground. Either way you are going to bust some deer and some deer will walk straight to you from down wind and never notice, its just the nature of the beast.

2. Be silent when you are moving to the spot you will be hunting. The deer are listening and will know where you are if you go blazing a trail through the brush.

3. Walk around well before the season and find their bedding area, you will notice laid down grass around tress, and deer poop all over the ground. For the love of everything holy don't pee when you find this spot. For some reason everyone wants to pee when they find what they are looking for. It looks like slightly over sized black beans. Then find a water source, deer are just like people when they wake up they poop then go get something to drink. Set yourself up on a trail between these two spots and you should be alright. Just be sure to set up far enough off the trail so you wont spook them but close enough so one wont get past you without you noticing. Depending on how tall the grass is 75-100 yrds. Dont walk on the trail you are hunting!

4. Rattling during the rut pays off. You just get some sheds or a rattle bag and knock them together for about 30 sec on and off then take a ten min break and repeat. The deer will circle you and try to get down wind to check out the situation with their nose. Try to have a few open lanes where you can see about 100 yrds on either side of your scent cone. The point is to take them before they get down wind.

5. Don't rush your shot, ideally before shooting get a landmark (tree or weird bush) so that you will know where to look for the starting point of the blood trail. The amateur mistake is to pull up and shoot and watch the deer run off. If you do not have time to get a landmark before you shoot, after you squeeze the shot off keep your scope on the spot and get a landmark before you watch the deer run off. With a 7mm it should go down like a pile of bricks but weird stuff happens in the woods. Mark the blood trail with tissues so that you can get back on the trail quickly if you loose it. Wounded game will run down hill most of the time.

This is a VERY quick summary of just a FEW aspects of hunting. I also hunt my families private ranch so things could be different on public land. I took my first deer with a rifle when I was 7 and I am 24 now. I took my first deer with a bow when I was 12 and have been lucky enough to take one every year. I come from a family that everyone has hunted since childhood and we all learn that we know next to nothing about deer. If you meet someone that claims they know a lot about deer nicely listen, but take their advice with a grain of salt. As soon as you think you have the upper hand a deer will make you look like a fool.

I hear you about being a poor college student I am graduating from OU in dec.

Tele-Caster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never gone hunting and know very little about the actual practice. I don't even own a rifle at the moment. To be honest I've never thought I could take an animals life; not to say that I don't understand where my food comes from or have a problem with people who hunt for food, just didn't think I could do the deed myself.

That being said, I've been hungering for venison and starting to think I should at least try it and see.

Sorry for the long post... basically... anybody got tips for a new hunter?

I don't have a hunting partner currently. I've never seen deer hunting as a solo activity, but until moving out here, I used to hunt in the western states on vast tracts of public land wilderness, where having a buddy with you could mean the difference between life and death for a variety of reasons.

I am currently involved in outdoors jorunalism (I write for a Calfornia fly fishing magazine and some others) and was a licensed and bonded (Lic. # 2725) hunting and fishing guide in California from 1995 to 2006. I am also a former Los Angeles County, CA police officer. In other words, I'm a pretty safe guy to be around when guns are involved.

I live in Tahlequah and hunt public land around here. I shot my first whitetails last year during the primitive weapon season, getting a buck and a doe on consecutive days.

I know how to process and butcher game and can show you how if interested.

I also have a TJ Jeep for those areas where such a vehicle is required. None of them I hunt around these parts require a vehicle with that capability. More than one of them is right off a paved road.

I currently shoot a Savage Model 10 in .243 Winchester. That is plenty of deer rifle where I hunt. I think the Savage is an excellent product, with a lot of very clever features to it that make it durable, reliable, easy to maintain, and highly accurate. I've had Remingtons, Rugers, Winchesters, '03 Springfields, Mausers, and CZ 550's, but this Savage that I currently shoot is probably my favorite of the bunch. The .243 is very pleasant to shoot and has all of the penetration, power, and range you'll need. It isn't popular to discuss, put people kill animals a whole lot tougher than whitetails with the round and not just here in the U.S., but in other parts of the world.

Anyhow, if you're serious about wanting to go hunting, I could use a hunting buddy. PM me and you can go out with me if you want to.

Given that I shot my deer within 10 minutes drive of my house here in Tahlequah, camping out isn't something that I've done since moving out here. That was always a part of the hunting that I did out west, though, and I do miss it. We can do the camping out thing if you want. I haven't because I don't have to, but I would if I was coming from Tulsa to hunt around here.

Anyhow, PM me if you're still looking for a hunting partner to show you the ropes.

-JP

Latest posts

Top Bottom