LPVO Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
700 yards would be more on occasion, not every weekend. I've gone back and forth with irons/red dot offset. I already have the irons so I will run them till funds increase. Probably the biggest use of this rifle will be hogs out to roughly 300 yards and punching holes in paper up close, but you know how it is when you're out shooting....you always have to try the distant steel.

That distant ring is impossible to pass up! FWIW, I've run a 1-4x out to 300 on reduced IPSC steel easily. Like stacking round after round easy from a 16" gun. The Steiner PX4 is one of the gold standard LPVOs for <$1000. Along those same lines the Burris RT6 is another great option if you want that 6x.

I think Trijicon has a few LPVO options lurking around too.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about the Primary Arms LPVO with ACSS reticle? I’ve been interested in those recently. I actually compared one to the Swampfox 1-8 and 1-10, and the PA seemed to have a little more eyebox forgiveness, if you will. Glass was about equal, with maybe a slight edge to Swampfox.

Just throwing that out there. I’ve got numbers of Vortex, and I’m not a fan of their zero stops. I like a covered turret or pull out and spin, so I don’t know if the newer generations have either of those features.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm so clueless I had to look up what LPVO was.

I just read this. What i gleaned from it was the reason you would want a 1 power scope is speed.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/blog/scopes/what-to-look-for-in-an-lpvo

I recently got into a herd of hogs at probably less than 30 yards. All I had was my 260 bolt action and a scope with a minimum magnification of 4.5x. They would have been a lot easier to track with a 1x scope or a red dot/holographic sight. I wasn't planning on shooting hogs at the time. My son and I were deer hunting and we shot 2 at 270 yards. While taking pictures with the two hogs the herd decided to come back.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently got into a herd of hogs at probably less than 30 yards. All I had was my 260 bolt action and a scope with a minimum magnification of 4.5x. They would have been a lot easier to track with a 1x scope or a red dot/holographic sight. I wasn't planning on shooting hogs at the time. My son and I were deer hunting and we shot 2 at 270 yards. While taking pictures with the two hogs the herd decided to come back.
Sounds to me like you had to do what I used to do when bird hunting with my Western Field 36" 12 gauge with full choke.
I usually had to wait for everyone else to shoot first then pick off the ones that got away from them.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have experience with the Strike Eagle. It was just "meh" IMHO.
If glass quality is high on your list, I predict you will be disappointed in every model you listed.
I was thinking this as I read the OPs post. Had a 1-8 SE wasn't blown away with it sold it after a couple months.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Must have owned one of the cheaper ones. Mine are all in the 400 and up range

I don't recall what I gave for it but I purchased it about 10 years ago. It's their Sidewinder 6.5-20x44. Like I said their glass doesn't compare to my Vortex Razor but it does track extremely true and seems to be very rugged.

Latest posts

Top Bottom