LR 308 rifle smoothing out recoil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're fighting Newton's law of physics here. With not wanting to use a mitigating device like a comp. you really limits your options. Adding a heavier buffer and stronger spring will only change the shape of the recoil pulse. The heavier setup will cause the pulse to rise faster at the start of the recoil movement where the standard setup will build a little slower, but get higher towards the end. Your only option is to increase the mass of the rifle. If you have the standard A2 style stock, you could purchase a 3# lead insert that is designed to fit the shape of the storage space. I use one when bench shooting. It is really noticeable when you are carrying the rifle and it changes the balance point considerably.

Here is one other option you may want to have a look at. I have one in my rifle because I shoot almost exclusively with a suppressor. It allows you to adjust the gas at the bcg key. I am not totally endorsing this product just yet as I am having some inconsistency in the cycling. It may be that the gas key port being partially closed off causes it to foul quicker. It worked great at first, but over time the action began to slow down to the point of stovepiping cases. I need to spend more time with mine seeing if different ammo will shoot cleaner and not cause the problem. Like I said, you really have limited your options so this may be one of your few ways left to go. Here is a link to the product.
https://falkordefense.com/shop/ar-a...ressure-308-bolt-carrier-group-black-nitride/
I forgot to add that I use this bcg to reduce the overgasing due to the can. If you are using it to reduce the normal amount of gas entering the system you will likely have to go to a lighter buffer or spring to keep the rifle cycling properly. Even after doing all this, I can't tell you if this will actually cause a perceived reduction in recoil and muzzle rise. It's an option which is what you are looking for. It's your call if you want to venture down that road.

Some interesting points you brought up their kingfish. Thanks for your post.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you shooting at, and what type of ammo are you using? Custom loads can make range time more enjoyable if you don't need factory loads. If you're just punching paper, there's nothing wrong with finding the "low node" and then reloading a box or two

Also kingfish is spot on - the recoil is just the nature of the beast if you aren't willing to get a comp, suppressor, or adjustable gas component. Both of my 308 AR builds feel much jumpier than most guns, until I shoot my 20" Rem 700 and then I remember how much recoil a 308 can have.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you shooting at, and what type of ammo are you using? Custom loads can make range time more enjoyable if you don't need factory loads. If you're just punching paper, there's nothing wrong with finding the "low node" and then reloading a box or two

Also kingfish is spot on - the recoil is just the nature of the beast if you aren't willing to get a comp, suppressor, or adjustable gas component. Both of my 308 AR builds feel much jumpier than most guns, until I shoot my 20" Rem 700 and then I remember how much recoil a 308 can have.

My goal is to reach out on steel and get some distance one of these days. Right now this is a new rifle I assembled. Function tested it this last weekend.

Maybe some of these brakes are not as obnoxious as ones I’ve used in the past. I may have to give in and get one. I think it’s 4 or 5 people now recommending one.

As for ammo it is made by freedom munitions and is 175 gr SMK. Supposed to be a m118ish clone. Seems decent and isn’t stupid expensive. I won’t know till I get some distance.

It isn’t uncomfortable or annoying to shoot. I’m just wanting the rifle to stay somewhat more flat when shooting and eliminate as much jump as possible. Sounding more and more like a brake is needed.

Was really hoping someone here had played with heavier buffers and springs. Reading on line it seems some have had good luck with that.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know what rest you use but paper and steel punching I do a lot of.
Look at this video and open it so it plays and notice what kind of bag he uses.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/load-testing-for-the-cz600-308.339935/#post-3843424
A small bag is much more jumpy than this long one.
The rifle can also be shot off a bipod and use a rear bag to support the stock a little bit.
DO NOT rest the rifle on the magazine. way to hard to keep it from wobbling.

Sometimes a good rest is all that is needed unless you are standing up and shooting :)

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how far is your brass being kicked out? I know you don't want to change gas blocks, but if you are ejecting empty brass into orbit, you may need to adjust the system anyway.

The only AR pattern 308 I own is an old KAC, and it is mild to shoot, mostly because it weighs quite a bit between bull barrel, scope, and bipod. It is also tuned well. Putting some weight on the gun will help.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taming the recoil impulse begins with proper shooting fundamentals. If you’re shooting prone that means getting your entire body behind the weapon perpendicular to the target. If you’re using a bipod, load the bipod with forward body pressure. if you’re using a rear bag adjust it to your bodies natural point of aim. Basically you’re driving the weapon with your entire body absorbing the recoil impulse. You will never eliminate your rifles movement completely but with proper technique you can greatly reduce it.

I shoot a break on both a 7mm and 6.5mm and have never had debris blown into my face. These rifles are used for both hunting and steel shooting.

I would also look at an adjustable gas block and a JP silent capture spring.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of these days I’ll get one. Choices choices. You have a large bore DPMS LR308 type rifle? How do you have it set up?
I don't have a .308 AR, but I know how hard the recoil is on my light 30-06 mountain rifle and the .270. The combo of the suppressor and recoil pad makes them both very soft shooting with the recoil pad probably doing the best job of recoil reduction.
The recoil is still there, but the pad spreads it out over a larger surface area and helps deaden it.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know what rest you use but paper and steel punching I do a lot of.
Look at this video and open it so it plays and notice what kind of bag he uses.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/load-testing-for-the-cz600-308.339935/#post-3843424
A small bag is much more jumpy than this long one.
The rifle can also be shot off a bipod and use a rear bag to support the stock a little bit.
DO NOT rest the rifle on the magazine. way to hard to keep it from wobbling.

Sometimes a good rest is all that is needed unless you are standing up and shooting :)
Thanks for those tips Swampratt

Latest posts

Top Bottom