Lurkers post got me to thunking!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You rural people with water wells. Go buy yourself a draw bucket that fits down through your well casing. Most wells are either 4 or 4 1/2 inch PVC. Bad times means pull your pump, and use your well bucket and a rope to get to clean water. Hopefully you know how far down water is in your well. If not, get ahold of your driller and see if he kept records. Just a suggestion.

If you want to get real inventive, have on hand a good a frame to set up over the well and a pully for your rope that goes to the bucket, will sure make it easier.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You rural people with water wells. Go buy yourself a draw bucket that fits down through your well casing. Most wells are either 4 or 4 1/2 inch PVC. Bad times means pull your pump, and use your well bucket and a rope to get to clean water. Hopefully you know how far down water is in your well. If not, get ahold of your driller and see if he kept records. Just a suggestion.

If you want to get real inventive, have on hand a good a frame to set up over the well and a pully for your rope that goes to the bucket, will sure make it easier.

One of them Honda generators solves the drawing water problem :).

I bought a windmill I was going to rig up, either to pump water or charge batteries....then a light bulb went off and I got real about prepping and what I was prepping for. If shtf for more than a month, I'm out...as in gone, not staying here.

Tornado hits and takes out house....I'm gone, I'll rebuild but I ain't gonna wait n draw water for a year. Same with a fire burning down the house. I'll rent or make do until a new house can be built.

But if SHTF, nobody is gonna stay bugged in for any length of time.....especially when govt breaks down. We'll all migrate or become refugees.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Electric pump > hand pump > bucket

no need to go straight to the bucket, when a hand pump will likely allow more water to flow faster...

[Broken External Image]

Texican

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a simple and easy to use well pipe bucket.... use a piece of 3" pvc with a cap on one end that has a internal flapper valve....

You can make the pipe sufficiently long enough to grab a gallon or more of water....

Do not forget to tie a couple of ropes thru holes in the pipe at the top of the bucket before you drop the bucket in the well....

When the bucket hits the water, the flapper valve will open allowing water to enter the bucket and when you pull up on the bucket the flapper valve will close due to the water pressure....

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Electric pump > hand pump > bucket

no need to go straight to the bucket, when a hand pump will likely allow more water to flow faster...

[Broken External Image]

I did the hand pump thing for a while. Depending on depth you have to use check valves. Way too much work if your well is deep.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll just walk another 1/2 mile to the river to get my water. Good Ideas though for those with wells only.

I had older relatives with hand pumps back in the day.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nuclear situation, you want to drink from way deep down, not no river or stream. The well bucket is easily carried and can be utilized where ever a well is located at. I guess I should have added a well bucket is for really bad situations, total electric loss for a longggggggggggg time.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of them Honda generators solves the drawing water problem
Whatcha going to do when there is no fuel?

I have one of those long draw tube-like buckets to let down the well (I am one of the few in the neighborhood with a well) and I'll furnish water to those n need but that well bucket brings up a lot of bad memories.....we were dirt poor.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One of them Honda generators solves the drawing water problem
Whatcha going to do when there is no fuel?

I have one of those long draw tube-like buckets to let down the well (I am one of the few in the neighborhood with a well) and I'll furnish water to those n need but that well bucket brings up a lot of bad memories.....we were dirt poor.

If I run outta fuel and can't get more.....shtf and no amount of fuel will help. I'll head to Bartertown n hope the girls can find a use for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom