Lyrica and Ambien

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I got new prescriptions for these two yesterday to help me with my foot pain from diabetic nueropathy, and maybe start getting some sleep.

I don't like to have to take meds, but I'm getting desperate.

Both of these are controled substances and can become addictive.

Anyone have any experience with these drugs?

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took Gabapentin for several years because of pain associated with spinal disc issues. It's in the same family of neurotransmitter blockers. Be very careful with it, especially when you first start.

It can have the effect of a mild trance like state, almost seemed to put me in life as a third person watching myself. The pain relief is real enough, but for me the out of synch reality was hard to deal with . It also seemed to affect short term memory, which also has an effect on the long term. As you stated, it is addictive.
YMMV.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I am supposed to take 50mg twice a day for the first week, of the Lyrica, and then up the dose to three times a day.

I was told to be sure I have someone stay with me when I first start on the Ambien. People have been known to sleep drive after taking it.

Last edited:

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not consume alcohol with ambien ! Had a good friend drink a few beers took his prescribed ambien and never wake up. It's scary stuff. Can make you sleep walk / drive and have crazy dreams my friend had some chronic severe shoulder pain and I remember his dad talking about the strange things he would say and do at night. After he passed there's no way no matter how bad the insomnia that I'd take any and I don't don't drink. I just don't think the side effects are worth the benefit. Be cautious and I hope it helps so you can get some rest.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ambien can make you do strange things in your sleep. So i've heard.

I took it a couple of times a few years ago, and when my wife told me she was afraid to go back to sleep after I sat up and started throwing punches at an invisible man and she couldn't wake me, I made it my last time. I don't remember any of it.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with regular Ambien has been good. I use it when traveling to Asia to help with jet lag. I only take it when I have at least 8 hours to sleep because I will be out for exactly that. I also only use it for a couple of days going over and for about a week upon return. I do not get enough pills to take it longer than that.

Some of my colleagues have had bad experiences with the time-release version though. Did some pretty nutty stuff....like shaving off HALF of his beard, peeing in the closet....weird.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with regular Ambien has been good. I use it when traveling to Asia to help with jet lag. I only take it when I have at least 8 hours to sleep because I will be out for exactly that. I also only use it for a couple of days going over and for about a week upon return. I do not get enough pills to take it longer than that.

Some of my colleagues have had bad experiences with the time-release version though. Did some pretty nutty stuff....like shaving off HALF of his beard, peeing in the closet....weird.

I don't know if I acted anything out in my sleep from Ambien but I have taken regular and time release and I didn't care for the nightmares it gave me so I stopped it and now I take a natural muscle relaxer when I want to go to sleep fast.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh boy ... I certainly feel for you. Please have your wife keep a close eye on you.

Like Model 70 I take Gabapentin for nerve pain and have much the same experience he reported. The paperwork says the trance-like feelings will pass. They have not with me and this is a big, big reason I don't drive any more. On the days I HAVE to drive somewhere, I just plan to not take my meds. I pay for it for the next couple of days but I'm not driving impaired. I've also been told that Gabapentin is addictive but I can stop taking it cold-turkey and the only side affect I suffer is the pain in my neck becomes completely unbearable. It feels like someone is holding a blow torch to the back of my neck and anything I do to try to cool it just makes it worse.

My neurologist told me that Gabapentin is a favorite among inmates because they can crush and snort it for the trance state that Model 70 described. I don't really care for the out of body feeling but if it's that or my neck and head feeling like they are on fire ... well ... I think I can figure out how to manage watching my world from over here lol ...

Lyrica threw me off balance. Literally. You've seen animals with ear infections walk in a circle. Or people who couldn't stand up. That's how it did me. I couldn't walk -- at all ... LOL It was really kinda funny ... except for the bouncing off the walls and falling down thing ... :rotflmao: Plus it didn't really help with the pain.

Ambien affects everyone differently as far as I can tell. GC has an RX for it for when he has to work the night shift because no matter how tired he is he cannot sleep during the day without help. But he is so funny when he takes it. God bless him, I can get him to promise me anything -- the man is so agreeable it's a HOOT!! And he doesn't remember a danged thing ... :rotflmao: Oh ... and he likes bacon ... A LOT ... when he takes that stuff.

Me?? I take one, finish what I was doing and then go to bed and go to sleep. I can stay up 20 minutes or 2 hours and I'm fine after I take it. I remember everything I did and said. Doesn't seem to be a big deal, but when my head hits that pillow I am toast for 8 hours. I wake up feeling really refreshed and rested. Only take one when my headache has been going on for several days and like you say, I'm just exhausted and desperate for some relief.

I have also heard that Lyrica and Ambien are addictive but not taken either one with any kind of consistency, so not had that problem. Another thing ... I'm on a regular doses of several things that can be considered addictive medications but can stop taking all of them at the drop of a hat and my only "side effect" seems to be increased nerve pain, muscle spasms and headaches (which is why I'm taking them in the first place) so I can't really address the addictiveness of these drugs. I don't know if they are truly physically addictive or if people feel like they "have" to have them because they help with their pain issues. :scratch: I do know my doctor said I am one odd cat ... :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom