Maintaining and keeping high mileage F150?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2017 F150 Super Crew, v8 that I bought in 2019. Got a really good deal on it at the time. Now has 193k and torque converter is going bad. My mechanic recommends a rebuilt transmission rather than replace converter due to the high miles.

The engine runs great, doesn't use oil, and truck drives well.

The price of pickups is crazy and I don't see it getting better any time soon. Is putting money into a high mileage truck worth it?
You have 10 years on me with my 07 Silverado and it has 240,000. Not burning oil between changes so Dean will pull my tranny and have it rebuilt. Maybe 4k was his ballpark. I’m doing it and hoping for the best. No room in my budget for a pmt since I have not had one for 30 yrs. Saved up and pd cash when I was working. In retirement that isn’t an option without strapping myself every month. And with prices on home & car insurances, taxes, energy and food going up at the rate they are at strapping ourselves seems reckless.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep it and fix it

All my wife and I drive is older Toyota stuff. Older like 1998-2006 ranges. I do my own maintenance. I fully expect to get 300k miles or more on stock motor and transmission.

It boggles my mind how many people think vehicles are worn out and done for at like 150k miles.. I guess maybe so for crappy build quality stuff but good grief

My dad has an expensive late model Chevy duramax/Allison with less than 50k miles and it’s already been down a couple times with major issues… one was some transmission computer BS that went out and dealers couldn’t even get the part truck was down for 3 months!!!

I’ll keep my old Toyotas
I regret getting away from Toyota/Lexus, and dodge diesels. Once I’m done with the Silverado, I plan on going back to those.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a good mechanic, but I'm meticulous about maintenance.
I’m not a good mechanic either. Back in the day when the ol pocket book didn’t allow it I would get under and do everything myself. Now it’s worth it to have someone else do it cuz I just don’t want to lol. But yeah, maintenance is critical.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
We bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sport in 2010 for $25,000.00. We take good care of vehicles just my wife and I, we keep them serviced, and in a garage. Ol' Bob, the name my wife gave this Jeep, has 150,000 miles now, and is 13 years old. I was at the Jeep dealer in Bristow, Crown I think is the name, that has a GREAT, HONEST SERVICE DEPARTMENT, waiting on Ol' Bob, to be serviced, and decided to look at a new Wrangler! They had a fancy Wrangler setting outside the show room. This Wrangler had everything I guess that could be added to a vehicle, and I liked the looks of it. Then I saw the sticker!! When I woke up from fainting, and looked again, the sticker price was $93,000.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say Ol' Bob looked better, and I stopped on the way home and bought stuff to detail Ol' Bob!!

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sport in 2010 for $25,000.00. We take good care of vehicles just my wife and I, we keep them serviced, and in a garage. Ol' Bob, the name my wife gave this Jeep, has 150,000 miles now, and is 13 years old. I was at the Jeep dealer in Bristow, Crown I think is the name, that has a GREAT, HONEST SERVICE DEPARTMENT, waiting on Ol' Bob, to be serviced, and decided to look at a new Wrangler! They had a fancy Wrangler setting outside the show room. This Wrangler had everything I guess that could be added to a vehicle, and I liked the looks of it. Then I saw the sticker!! When I woke up from fainting, and looked again, the sticker price was $93,000.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say Ol' Bob looked better, and I stopped on the way home and bought stuff to detail Ol' Bob!!
I guess the economy is thriving, all the restaurant's are full when you drive by them and people are paying $100,000 plus for vehicles and boats. Crazy

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have 10 years on me with my 07 Silverado and it has 240,000. Not burning oil between changes so Dean will pull my tranny and have it rebuilt. Maybe 4k was his ballpark. I’m doing it and hoping for the best. No room in my budget for a pmt since I have not had one for 30 yrs. Saved up and pd cash when I was working. In retirement that isn’t an option without strapping myself every month. And with prices on home & car insurances, taxes, energy and food going up at the rate they are at strapping ourselves seems reckless.
4K seems like a lot. Which transmission does it have?

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want a 21' Ranger bass boat. Always have wanted one. Never will have one. Unless it's 20-30 years old. Jeeze! The sticker shock on those things is just n
I want a 21' Ranger bass boat. Always have wanted one. Never will have one. Unless it's 20-30 years old. Jeeze! The sticker shock on those things is just nuts!
Isn't the outboard motor $30-60 grand by itself? Just depends on how much HP you want

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Ryan500L I haven't priced them lately but the 250HP and up probably are that much. Wouldn't surprise me. A fully decked out, ready to fish, with all the whistles is going to hit you for close to $100K. Maybe more now. :faint:

Latest posts

Top Bottom