Making Glock magazines drop free

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Help! I just picked up a number of Glock mags (all used, for G22), but most of them refuse to drop free. They are marked LE/Military only. Any ideas on what I can do to make them drop? Since these are for range use only (I have reliable dropping mags for EDC), it doesn't bother me a bit to modify, sand, etc., but don't want to reinvent the wheel if somebody already has thoughts on this. Thanks a lot!

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Help! I just picked up a number of Glock mags (all used, for G22), but most of them refuse to drop free. They are marked LE/Military only. Any ideas on what I can do to make them drop? Since these are for range use only (I have reliable dropping mags for EDC), it doesn't bother me a bit to modify, sand, etc., but don't want to reinvent the wheel if somebody already has thoughts on this. Thanks a lot!
The older mags that have a "U" shaped rear were specifically designed to NOT drop free. I'm assuming that's the type you have. If not, then you probably have either a damaged mag release (happens when you use metal mags, which you should not do BTW), damaged mags, dirty magwell/mags/mag release, or a combination of all.

Mags that either have a |_| rear notch (2nd Gen), or a \_/ rear notch (3rd and 4th Gen) mags should easily drop free.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
lol
its not the notches that prevent the mags from dropping, gsarg is using them to identify the type of mag. They are wider.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somehow I missed the responses to this thread! Sorry about the late reply...

These are gen 3 mags; I had already checked that. Some of them drop free, while others do not. I've already checked the gun - appears fine, and the ones that do work properly are consistent. I have cleaned and oiled them all. The oiling helped a bit on some of them, but once they dried out again, they still stuck.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are they sticking in the mag well or are they just dropping out slowly?

1911 mags seem to jump out when you hit the release. Glocks are just slower about it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I "shave all of my Glock competition mags. Sanding can raise burs that will cause issues. I just use an exacto knife and bevel the edges on the back corners of the mag body. That alone will usually get them to drop free. It doesn't take much to do the trick.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I "shave all of my Glock competition mags. Sanding can raise burs that will cause issues. I just use an exacto knife and bevel the edges on the back corners of the mag body. That alone will usually get them to drop free. It doesn't take much to do the trick.

But, but I thought they were perfection!!!???
:pms2: :pms2: