Man vs Bear with Knife: How realistic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonKnife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read stories of 19th century Mountain Men and Native American indians and others defeating large bears (Black, Brown/Grizzly) with large daggers and knives. How realistic is that and could the same be done today or would the person most likely take severe damage that leads to death or hospitalization? Also, could a trained person who has a large enough blade defeat a polar bear in hand to hand combat if it was necessary or there is no way?

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anecdotal evidence should be taken lightly as I highly doubt anyone who ever lost lived to tell about it...that would greatly skew the success/failure rate.

"Fish stories" existed long before the internet, and I suspect a good amount of tall tales and exaggeration like we see with many other stories of the old west.

While a "chance" always exists, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of the animal that is 2 - 3x the weight (or more) and strength...let alone the paw-full of 2" knives of its own (and canines).

Just me thinking out loud.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom