Man vs Bear with Knife: How realistic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read stories of 19th century Mountain Men and Native American indians and others defeating large bears (Black, Brown/Grizzly) with large daggers and knives. How realistic is that and could the same be done today or would the person most likely take severe damage that leads to death or hospitalization? Also, could a trained person who has a large enough blade defeat a polar bear in hand to hand combat if it was necessary or there is no way?
I mean to some extent the native tribes of the area have hunted and killed polar bears with prehistoric technology. To answer your question, yes I believe someone wielding a true two-handed Viking styled broadsword that was well crafted could take the bears head off or something to that effect. But the odd would still be stacked in the bears favor heavily.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mean to some extent the native tribes of the area have hunted and killed polar bears with prehistoric technology. To answer your question, yes I believe someone wielding a true two-handed Viking styled broadsword that was well crafted could take the bears head off or something to that effect. But the odd would still be stacked in the bears favor heavily.
Good point. Flint points have killed many.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
That reminds me of a funny, true, bear tail! My wife and I were in a cabin at Twiwatee Lodge, on the east side of Jackson Hole Wy. years ago. I was walking every morning back then, so I started my walk from the clearing where these cabins were located, when I came across a huge sign," CAUTION, GRIZZLY AREA, SPECIAL RULES APPLY!" I wasn't sure just what this meant, not being fromn this part of the country, so I went back to the cabin and got a pistol, a Lady Smith .38. My wife was in the shower, and I went on my walk with no problem. This was in early July, and the temperature at about 9/10,000 feet. was in the 40's, and I could see the Tetons in the distance, across Jackson Hole, great view!! When I got back to the cabin, I told my wife this story, and said I'm glad we had a pistol along. Being the smart ass she is, she said, what were you going to do with that little pistol, shoot yourself if one got you down? She had a point, and we still laugh about that! A good trip!

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It helps to have a whole lot of knives to kill a big bear. Ideally pre-loaded into a pre-aimed 12 pound Mountain Howitzer equipped with a nice, trusty, percussion cannon lock. Then just yank the chain & hope for the best.

....Or so I'd imagine.
That's about the only recommendation I'd comfortably give someone who Takes a Knife to a Bearfight, anyway.
(Just yankin' yer chain).

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard of people so mean & tough that they could 'Go Bear Huntin' with a Switch'- but don't know of any who actually did.
Here's an idea involving more cannons & yanked (not Yankee) chains. A Confederate SXS Cannon that turned out 'To True 2B Good'....but would definitely deter most large predators-
https://www.tumblr.com/peashooter85/157963637219/the-confederate-doub

Attachments

• 1667248129204.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1667248321721.png
    1667248321721.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 0

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is completely doable with a big knife! I tested it today. I grabbed my 7" long combat blade and found the biggest bear I could. With in minutes I was able to completely destroy it and eviscerate it! I was not much worse for the wear, but now I've got to clean up all this stuffing blowing around the front yard and explain to these 4 cops why I don't need a psychological exam! 😅

Latest posts

Top Bottom