Marlin 1895G 45/70 Guide Gun interest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 1895GS has been an excellent hunting rifle! I put on a set of ghost rings to extend the site picture a little. I shoot factory 405gr loads and have never even noticed the recoil. The recoil has been very easy to control for followup shots at new targets. I do a lot of shotgun shooting, so perhaps I am just accustomed to the recoil.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A buddy has a G model in .45/70 with porting. If you handload to realize the full potential, they still kick like hell. And I've never been a fan of porting on any gun because I'm plenty deaf enough already. But other than that I'd get one, they are great guns with lots of power in a handy package.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up my Guide Gun from MAS. NIB 1895G no porting blued with Walnut. Found a guy selling two(ported and non) in AL. Brought it home for $475.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thats a buy! Buddy had the older model, but sure was fun to shoot. Since I can't afford an springfield I might just have to have a guide gun. That was a nice price.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering the fact that I couldn't find a 1895G blued in the city. Most distributors were dry on this model. I could find plenty of 1895 (22" barrels). I found this one made an offer and it was accepted.

I could have gotten a ported model for about $400. But was used and showed it. That and the wood wasn't nearly as nice.