McAllister Controlled Deer Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopalong49

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No luck with Elk this year in the controlled hunt draw but my after thought application for McAllister Deer was drawn. If anyone has experience with this hunt, I would appreciate any tips or suggestions. Thanks

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless they changed it , they used to load you in the back of a truck drive you to your assigned area and you stayed in that hunting area till they picked you up . Really easy hunting , almost too easy

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plan for a very long day in the field not matter how the hunting is going. I've hear from nearly dawn to dusk type of sitting. Water, snacks, food, TP, etc. Not sure if it's allowed to crap out there but not sure I could hold it that long. I do hear the deer are massive at the MCAAP. Good luck.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Unless they changed it , they used to load you in the back of a truck drive you to your assigned area and you stayed in that hunting area till they picked you up . Really easy hunting , almost too easy
It's not like that anymore, folks drive in, out for lunch, back in after lunch. It's way different than when Starry ran it.

Kalvinc

Marksman
Reaction score
MCAAP can be an incredible hunt. I'd suggest bringing a hang-on because there are plenty of areas (depending on what unit you get drawn) where there won't be a suitable tree for a climber. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. I missed a "10 most wanted buck" at 30 yards. He was killed by a white-hat a few hundred yards away from me that same day. Heartbreaking...

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going this weekend. It can be pretty darn hot the first w/e (disability hunt), but this w/e appears to be destined for unseasonably cool weather. Don't worry, I won't take all the B&C monsters.

Tip:​

Remember MCAAP is an Army base.
Do what the White hats suggest.
Be nice to hunters, volunteers and staff. The White Hats are volunteering (often 5 straight weekends) and they have to deal w/ some knuckleheads each week. This hunt is the best ODWC offers.
Do NOT take ammo on base.
Do NOT smoke / have a spark device in the hunt area.
Take a blind.
Take a doe (or pig) ASAP to secure a QP (Quality Pass) to bypass lottery next year.
Do NOT hike to the farthest point of your area. There are deer everywhere. BIG ones, too.
Do take toilet paper & water. It can be a long day.
Do NOT climb on bombs!
Drive the speed limit.
Do NOT get hissy if you don't get to put a pin on the exact spot you want to hunt. There are deer everywhere. BIG ones, too.
Use a harness if you get off the ground!
Expect a few BOOMS!
Do NOT sh*t yourself after the first bomb explodes. It was planned.
Follow the rules -->
DO NOT RUIN THIS HUNT FOR THE REST OF US!

Good luck and be safe ...

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going this weekend. It can be pretty darn hot the first w/e (disability hunt), but this w/e appears to be destined for unseasonably cool weather. Don't worry, I won't take all the B&C monsters.

Tip:​

Remember MCAAP is an Army base.
Do what the White hats suggest.
Be nice to hunters, volunteers and staff. The White Hats are volunteering (often 5 straight weekends) and they have to deal w/ some knuckleheads each week. This hunt is the best ODWC offers.
Do NOT take ammo on base.
Do NOT smoke / have a spark device in the hunt area.
Take a blind.
Take a doe (or pig) ASAP to secure a QP (Quality Pass) to bypass lottery next year.
Do NOT hike to the farthest point of your area. There are deer everywhere. BIG ones, too.
Do take toilet paper & water. It can be a long day.
Do NOT climb on bombs!
Drive the speed limit.
Do NOT get hissy if you don't get to put a pin on the exact spot you want to hunt. There are deer everywhere. BIG ones, too.
Use a harness if you get off the ground!
Expect a few BOOMS!
Do NOT sh*t yourself after the first bomb explodes. It was planned.
Follow the rules -->
DO NOT RUIN THIS HUNT FOR THE REST OF US!

Good luck and be safe ...
Good Advice

Latest posts

Top Bottom