Mercury in fish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many of our lakes are fed by multiple rivers as we know and look at Robert S Kerr that is a river in my mind.
The Arkansas river and fish are safe to eat from it often.

I would like to know when that above study on mercury levels was taken.
I could not find that information.
I mostly eat Blues and the big ones get photographed and tossed back many times.
C.P.R.
Catch. Photograph. Release.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that I have never understood is this. Lake Lawtonka and Elmer Thomas are literally within a couple hundred yards of each other. Lawtonka has no consumption recommendations for any species, but Elmer Thomas and all the other small lakes in the Wichita Wildlife Refuge have consumption recommendations for Largemouth Bass. Anybody have an idea as to why with the lakes being right next to each other.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that I have never understood is this. Lake Lawtonka and Elmer Thomas are literally within a couple hundred yards of each other. Lawtonka has no consumption recommendations for any species, but Elmer Thomas and all the other small lakes in the Wichita Wildlife Refuge have consumption recommendations for Largemouth Bass. Anybody have an idea as to why with the lakes being right next to each other.
My guess would be an additional water source and probably proximity to Sill. Half of ET is on Sill.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because Lawton owns Lawtonka and has been trying for years to make it a trophy small mouth lake. It would hurt their goals of making it a trophy fishing destination if they put consumption limits, or even warned of mercury. That's my opinion only. But, look at how much money that lake makes the city.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does Lawtonka make the city money? Really asking.
Lawtonka is owned and managed by the city of Lawton. They collect permit fees for boating, fishing, hunting, etc. along with the fees for the RV camp sites. They hired a consulting company about a year ago to look into ways for increasing revenue. They’ll probably be charging for entry fees and parking similar to the state parks in the near future. Is that what you’re asking?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No restrictions on any of the lakes I regularly fish and consume fish from the link other than Sooner lake.
The only restriction is not eat fish more than 25" in length more than twice a month on Sooner lake while Kaw lake which is upstream has no restrictions like that.
The Mercury causing the restriction must be coming from the Salt Fork, Chikaskia River or one of the feeder creeks.
Sooner Lake has no natural feeder creeks. It's actually built on the top of a hill. Three huge pumps and pipes pump water from the Arkansas River into Sooner lake around two or so miles away to keep it full.
The lake/power plant can't pump water between certain water temps to allow the stripers, spoonbills and sand bass to migrate upstream to spawn below Kaw Lake.

Latest posts

Top Bottom