Method to Strip Teflon Coating from Cold Steel Knives?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Cold Steel Mini Recon 1, which I am really liking as a rugged, smaller (3" blade) EDC folder. However, I am not as thrilled with the black coating on the blade. Cold Steel calls this coating "Tuff-Ex." My understanding is that it is a form of Teflon.

My objections are (1) since I sometimes use my EDC knife for food prep, I worry about bits of the Teflon coating flaking off into my food; and (2) I just don't find it all that attractive. People post pics of CS Recon series with the Tuff-Ex stripped off the blade and it looks way better. There's a handsome dark gray stonewashed finish under the coating.

Has anyone here done this project with their Cold Steel knife? What method worked for you to strip the coating from the blade?

I would be particularly interested to hear from someone who's done this in the past year or two, since I read that CS changed their coating process, making it cling to the blade better than in the past. That's a plus for those who like the coating, but a minus for me since I want it off.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the "handsome dark gray stonewashed finish" is actually a part of the metal, and would not be removed by mechanical means I would suggest a media blaster using aluminum oxide in the 50 to 60 micron size starting with around 40 psi and working up until you get results. If the resultant surface is too matte textured for your liking, then a follow up shot with glass beads in the same diameter would leave a semi gloss surface.
Of course this could only be done effectively with the blade removed from the housing. If that sounds like what you are after shoot me a pm.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with UMB on this one. I have done this same thing with aluminum oxide followed by fine glass beads and it looks great. It would be a quick job and can always be redone quickly if the barrel gets really scratched up. If all else fails, send me a pm and we'll meet up. Good luck!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stripped the coating from my American Lawman. I used acetone, but it wasn't really strong enough so I had to scrub and even use emery cloth in some places. Try something harder than acetone if you don't want it taking all day. maybe paint thinner or paint remover?

Mine wasn't stone washed under the coating so I stonewashed it myself.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a YouTube video by a fellow who stripped the blade of his full sized Recon 1. You can see the underlying finish. It is interesting and attractive, and appears to my eye to be stonewashed, a part of the metal.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyAmtYW5hyA

That's what I'd like my Mini Recon to look like. His removal put some scratches on the blade; I'd prefer to avoid that if I can.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I stripped the coating from my American Lawman. I used acetone, but it wasn't really strong enough so I had to scrub and even use emery cloth in some places. Try something harder than acetone if you don't want it taking all day. maybe paint thinner or paint remover?

Mine wasn't stone washed under the coating so I stonewashed it myself.

Yep, I did the same. Just let it soak longer and the stuff just peels right off

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I did the same. Just let it soak longer and the stuff just peels right off

Really? Crap, I let mine sit for like 20 mins or so, maybe I should have just left it overnight. I was thinking something like Mineral Spirits might do a better job. Turns out I'm just impatient :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom