MK III re-assembly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really isn't that difficult, not so much that I would spend $50 on the "easy kit".
I agree that it isn't all that bad, but there is a big percentage of users that can't get these guns back together. I'd be willing to bet that many of these users would gladly drop $40+ on a kit that would help them not have this frustration.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FINALLY got the stupid thing back apart and reassembled correctly. Only took 3 or 4 tries, lots of frustration, a two page thread, and some genius marks on the finish...:nono2: I bet Bill Ruger is getting a good laugh at my expense from beyond the grave right about now.

Anyway, if the same thing ever happens to anyone, as per some generous PM advice, you need to get the mag back in it and close the mainspring latch completely, and then knock the muzzle forward against something while working the trigger and slide. Eventually it'll fall back up to the "fired" position it needs to be in for the mainspring to open all the way.

Turns out my mistake was tilting the gun forward rather than back while closing the thing back up, which put the spur in the wrong position and locked the bolt up.

It's not even THAT bad to break down, but if you screw up one tiny thing it turns into something of a nightmare. Oh well, it's just part of the fun right? It'll be a cinch now that I know how to do it, but something tells me this will be the dirtiest of my guns going forward. :uhh:

Thanks for all the advice in the thread and generous offers of help via PM! Y'all rock.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up paying to get mine clean....
This thread is the 2nd of two reasons that I bought a Buckmark. The 1st is it has a great trigger for a factory gun in these days of lawyer triggers.

I just heard too many people griping about assembling the Ruger. I'm not scared of it by any means, but I like my guns clean too. And this is just too much hassle IMO.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread is the 2nd of two reasons that I bought a Buckmark. The 1st is it has a great trigger for a factory gun in these days of lawyer triggers.

I just heard too many people griping about assembling the Ruger. I'm not scared of it by any means, but I like my guns clean too. And this is just too much hassle IMO.
Understandable. It's definitely not my idea of a good time, but I did know what I was getting into before I bought it (and still messed up!).

I doubt if I'll have a serious issue again, though. I just dropped the ball on one crucial step of reassembly the first time out. It's not difficult, but it has to be "just so" or it gets tedious quick.

Anyway, now on to the fun part. :gun2:

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had several of these autos and don't have a problem. Just tilt the muzzle up about 45 degrees when reinstalling the mainspring housing and it will snap right in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom