More 45 Colt questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reloading pistol cartridges for a while now, but haven't reloaded any 45 long colt before. I reload 45 acp and 38/357 on Dillon equipment, but since I will be shooting a limited quantity of 45 colt ammo, I will start out reloading on my Lyman turret press and I'll be hand priming the cases. That's where I need some info. I've hand primed a lot of 45/38/357 in the past using a RCBS Universal priming tool. I've read that the springloaded case holder on this tool has a problem with the 45 colt case. Some forum posts and reviews I've read say that the rim on the 45 lc case is too shallow and the case will slip a lot. Have any of you experienced this and do you have any recommendations as to which hand priming tool works best?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried one of those with the universal shell holder and the 45 colt rim is pretty small for it to lock on to. I have a couple of the Lee hand prime tools that use shellholders for each caliber and they work just fine with the 45 colt. Blitzfike

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also use the Lee hand primer without any problems, I also us a Lyman press with a standard shell holder without problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom