More bird related issues at my place

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After posting the owl thread I thought I'd share a couple more bird events going on here.

While trimming grass in early April I notice a lot of wood chips on the ground under the utility pole next to my house. The chips were large, like someone took a hatchet to the pole. I look up to see 3 very large and deep holes in the pole. Picture below. The hole closet to the ground is large enough to put my fist in and is about half way into the pole. I have a lot of woodpeckers but aside from the occasional pleated that is large I've only seen the more common small woodpeckers.

The utility company came out, plugged the holes with something and wrapped it in cellophane. This pole replaced the old woodpecker riddled pole 3 years ago. The holes in the old one were the normal small holes.

In May a couple new holes appeared, but utility company said they weren't a problem.

Then, another new to me bird, Barn Swallow, despite my efforts to tear it down covered the top of the 6' wide garden door with mud and built a mud nest.

Attachments

• 20230404_192313.jpg
    20230404_192313.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230404_192305.jpg
    20230404_192305.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 0

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
They seem to have claim to that particular position and I don't think that anything you can possibly do other than shoot at them, is going to make a difference at this point.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't shoot'em. Be your luck it's some rare protected bird.

We had an elk wrapped in a cheesecloth type fabric hanging in camp one year in Colorado. Damn magpies wouldn't leave it alone...pecking at it, tearing the wrap, crapping on it, etc...

I got tired of that and shot 3 or 4 of them and just left them laying where they fell.

A while later a wildlife officer stopped by camp to check tags and stuff and asked about the magpies. I told him I'd shot them and why. Then he told me they're federally protected migratory birds and killing them was a serious violation. I don't know why he didn't cite me but he didn't...just a stern lecture and a warning to stop shooting magpies.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just like to see what is making these holes. Some of the wood chips on the ground are 1.5" long.

AND, what is in the pole that it is after?
There are dozens if not hundreds of insect infested trees nearby. I suppose the utility pole is soft wood.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just like to see what is making these holes. Some of the wood chips on the ground are 1.5" long.

AND, what is in the pole that it is after?
There are dozens if not hundreds of insect infested trees nearby. I suppose the utility pole is soft wood.
1689179131904.png

Found it! It's called a 'Wood Beaver Pecker' :laugh6:

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't shoot'em. Be your luck it's some rare protected bird.

Most migratory birds are going to be protected, so they should not be killed.

Barn swallows can be considered as good luck; but watch out if they swoop on you when getting too close to the nest. They can help reduce mosquitos in the area since they catch food mid air.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had those mud nest building birds building under the eaves and porch . Kept tearing the nests down and they finally gave up. I don't think they are protected birds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom