Mounting BUIS on an offset rail.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think offset flip up sights are a little much. Why not just have regular flip up sights? If your red dot fails, why not just have regular flip up sights that can be actuated while the red dot is still on the rifle? Having flip up offset iron sights seems a little over tactical to me.

Maybe it's just me. Probably is.

Hehe, no joke. I just want something that will work in place of my 4-12 scope. Anyone make scope rings that have pistol style sights on top?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
OK, so pulling out Solidworks again (I love drarwin pichers)... what you're wanting is something as simple possible, low weight, low profile, and cheap.

Since this is a true "backup" idea, it doesn't need to be adjustable, or even use standard sight inserts. Just a way of consistently lining up your gun when/if your primary optic goes out, or up close and personal if your primary is high magnification.

Here's some first pass screenshots of my idea.

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_SolidWorks_45Sight_3.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_SolidWorks_45Sight.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_SolidWorks_45Sight_0.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_SolidWorks_45Sight_1.jpg

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_SolidWorks_45Sight_2.jpg

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they need to stick out further from the rifle. I had a problem with my offset reddot being too close and I had to smash my face down on my rifle to see the dot. I know its probably different with just irons, not having to see a dot, but I think its still to close to get them lined up and a good sight picture.

Just being critical.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think they need to stick out further from the rifle. I had a problem with my offset reddot being too close and I had to smash my face down on my rifle to see the dot. I know its probably different with just irons, not having to see a dot, but I think its still to close to get them lined up and a good sight picture.

Just being critical.

No problem, I actually thought about that after I loaded the pics up. Was curious if anyone else would think it'd be an issue.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No problem, I actually thought about that after I loaded the pics up. Was curious if anyone else would think it'd be an issue.

I had the same thought, but that being a rough draft, I was more interested in the concept than the execution. I think they would still be fairly low profile because they well be hugging the side of a scope. It might not work with all scopes however, for instance a 50 mm objective might get in the way.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I know some machine shops around here. So yes, if I get to something that there is some serious interest in, I could get a quote on it. Getting them anodized could be more interesting though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom