Moving with a Safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUZ371

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey OSA! Sadly, I will be leaving OKC after living here since late 09. I have purchased a gun safe to protect my investments, but I will be living in a rental place. I doubt any of them will be allowing me to bolt it down. 24 gun safe/500lb. How would you set it up inside a house?

I will be moving to a small town in Idaho, Mountain home. 5.5sq/mi 14000 pop. If/when I deploy I will probably leave the safe with a coworker.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talk the landlord and ask if they'll let you bolt it down. If you put it in a closet and pull back the carpet, you probably wouldn't be able to tell it was there after you move out. Good luck on your deployment and be sure to check back with OSA.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can't bolt it down, shove it in a closet so it's hard to get in/out and rest safe knowing that it's VERY unlikely that someone will try to walk out with your 500lbs safe. I have a buddy flying in Mt Home and he says it's boring, but beautiful up there. Apparently a lot of folks live in the bigger city down the road and just make the drive. Good luck with the move. If you fly, I hear the flying's really good up there.

GUZ371

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I've talked to some people and they drive up to an hour to go on base, I would love to rent a house there but the prices and my housing allowance does not match at all. I like the closet idea.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Place the safe where you want it. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or local hardware and look for the plastic....plastic wedges used to split wood.

They're heavy duty and you can use them as a wedge to level and balance a gun safe that's not bolted to the floor.

That's what I did and pity the fool who thinks they can manhandle or throw that safe around.. They better worry about being crushed if they think my Browning safe is a play toy.

My wife didn't want me to bolt it down in our new home...afraid I'd crack and cause trouble on the slab. It does work and doesn't tip...4 in front and others around it.

I wouldn't jump on top of it and act like Van Halen but I can swing open the door and it won't tip or rock around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom