mp pro factory sights and sights suggestion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torment

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While you guys are here....

Is it worth the upgrade from to an M&P Pro 9mm from the standard full-size 9mm? I've only shot the full-size and really enjoyed it but didn't know if the upgraded parts from the pro were worthwhile.

Rick Means

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the M&P pro sights, Mike. Since I have two - one for Anne and One for Jennie, I have been trying to learn more. I need a good trigger for Jennie's - Anne's already has one (I got it from M. Chambers) but I don't know which one it is. Is a drop in good for the M&P?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the M&P pro sights, Mike. Since I have two - one for Anne and One for Jennie, I have been trying to learn more. I need a good trigger for Jennie's - Anne's already has one (I got it from M. Chambers) but I don't know which one it is. Is a drop in good for the M&P?

Hey Rick. That M&P has the drop-in sear from Apex Tactical. I would encourage you to have the other one tuned up by Mike rather than use the drop-in trigger kit. His are better, roughly the same cost, and you get to make him do all the work!

If you need to borrow another M&P while it's gone, you're welcome to mine.

torment

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Is it worth the upgrade from to an M&P Pro 9mm from the standard full-size 9mm? I've only shot the full-size and really enjoyed it but didn't know if the upgraded parts from the pro were worthwhile.

Guess not. Nevermind

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quick answer is the Pro is more of a target pistol. A favorite of competition shooters due in part to the longer sight radius.
Not something you would want to try and conceal.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are not really any harder to conceal than a 4.25". Lots of people carry 5" 1911s. The frame is the same size.

The extra sight radius is really the big reason, but having the right (I mean SKINNY) front sight post is more important than the extra length in my opinion.

The factory trigger still sucks and the sights gotta go! Might as well get the 9L if it's cheaper.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another bit about the sights, since I just spent a lot of time researching for my upgrade.

My factory front sight was .180 tall, .115 wide at the front (barrel) end, and .130 wide at the back end. I'm guessing my rear notch was .130 as well, though I have not measured it. I began my investigation for two reasons: 1) 30+ yard shots (you know, the ones Jack just loves to put on stages) and 2) because I was shooting low.

As I tested and tested again, I found that in order to be on the mark, I had to split the green dot with the top of the rear sight blade. For me, this was something very unnatural, since my habit/training has taught me to flat the tops of the front and rear sight and split the target top to bottom. I began researching the issue on the 'net and found a thread on the Enos forums that described my issue exactly. Apparently it is/was a standing issue for several folks.

My solution for both issues was to buy a warren tactical .165 tall by .115 wide fiber optic front sight. After getting the installation done at a local shop, I put the rod in and melted it into a nice mushroom, which had a circumference matching the .115 wide blade. In the end, a damn fine upgrade/fix.

As far as the FS vs the Pro, you're not looking at a very big difference. The Pro has lighter springs from the factory, as well as the factory front fiber optic (which yeah.. i replaced). I added the Apex sear and Firing Pin Block to my gun, which worked wonderfully with my factory springs. For a full size, you could get the full Apex kit instead, replacing your springs and end up with a trigger very similar to mine.

It really boils down to what you want to do. If it is a full time comp gun, get the comp spring kit, swap the front and/or rear sights, and you'll be in great shape.

Latest posts

Top Bottom