my 12 gauges disappoints me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, a shotgun that shoots consistently off-center is a defective firearm either from the factory or a damaged, used firearm that needs the attention of a gunsmith. If it won't shoot at the bead, what good is it?

Exactly, that is why you should check it. If it won't shoot to the bead it is not as effective. It could be a little off and still be usable. If it were a new gun it should be returned. It can be caused by the threading in the choke tubes. The beads or sights can be out of alignment. The barrel can be bent. With the doubles they can shoot to different spots.

You should even pattern your choke tubes for pattern density. You need to know what it is actually doing so you can trust them when you need them.

It is very much like sighting in a rifle and most people don't do it. Shotshell reloaders should check their loads too.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay. I see what your saying. I was concerned that you were saying a shotgun shooting off bead was 'okay' and just needed to be lived with. Glad that wasn't the advice (didn't sound like advice you'd give!). I went in the the assumption that it was centering the pattern, perhaps I shouldn't have.

The first set of shells I made up looked okay, loaded okay, and went boom, but the pattern was just horrendous! A change in wad and a filler in the pellets not only gave more consistent crimps, but got me the best dove loads I've ever shot out of my Mossy. They did just as well in the Sportsman 58, but the wives Longfowler didn't like them, so she stuck with factory loads (that patterned as expected) until we can work a load for her O/U.

Not properly patterning a shotgun is the equivalent to bore sighting a rifle, then trying to take a white-tail. Take the time, do it right and enjoy the results rather than cursing at the whole endeavor. It's money and time well spent. I am sure there are a number of folks on the boards that would be happy to help the OP pattern the shotgun and better results.

Dennis is correct though, no season open on small black birds. the idea of shooting them isn't smart. GW's frown on that kind of activity.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have hunted quail with a double barreled black powder shotgun. I wanted to know how it shot compared to modern guns. They are also sensitive to loads an wads when it comes to patterns. I found out that it shot better than most modern shot shells once loaded.

It had improved cylinder chokes on both barrels so it was a closer range gun. It was light too. It was way slow to load.

It was fun to hunt with. I have had a dog hold a point while I stood there and loaded both barrels and then flushed and shot quail several times.

Black powder can give consistent velocities. The wadding can hurt the patterns. I tried several things. I even used some modern plastic wads over the powder with a cardboard to hold the shot in. It just didn't matter with that gun. It shot great.

To load a black powder shotgun you weight the shot charge you want to shoot and set your measure to that volume and you use that same volume of black powder. That gives about the same velocity for all charge weights. It makes loading simpler too. I shot 1 1/4 oz of 7 1/2 or 8 shot.

The same weight of larger size shot can have a larger volume but not by much.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will need to get my freezer paper out and pattern with different chokes installed.
They were starlings btw.
tearing up the planted fields...they had to go.
I ate all but 2 that i shot. :)

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me, a shotgun that shoots consistently off-center is a defective firearm either from the factory or a damaged, used firearm that needs the attention of a gunsmith. If it won't shoot at the bead, what good is it?
used in rigged VFD turkey shoots!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steve Baldwin of Mechanical Accuracy in Jones is probably the most expert person in this area regarding shotgun chokes.

I recommend you speak with him and see if he can do you any good. When steel shot first became a requirement his chokes became very popular.

His phone is 405 399 2875.

Steve has done a number of different things for me over the last several years, and I have always been pleased with his work.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. The whole point of turkey hunting is to get close.

2. That said, 99.99% of the time it's the Indian not the arrow.

3. Flock shooting is never going to get results the result imagined. Pick a bird and shoot it. Maybe you'll get lucky and hit another.

4. A5's are awesome.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No they tasted like mild liver.
But i like liver.

I hunted with a 40lb recurve for years.. killed small game with it many times.
Killed skunk, many squirrel's, armadillo i even killed a dove with that bow...no sights
I began reloading my rifles so i could shoot things far away , i get more satisfaction from that than spraying lead i suppose.
I have been thinking what i should do with some of my 12 gauges.
When my kids get secure and a house of their own i will start handing out my 12 gauges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom