My Grandfather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Grandfather passed away on March 1st at 91yrs old. I was on my way from Tulsa to OKC to visit him. He had been in the hospital twice with a broken hip in the last month or so. The last time he was there we were told he had cancer and would only make it about 2 more weeks. Less than a week later he was gone.

When I was younger I knew my grandfather was a WWII vet and I knew he had been a paratrooper. As I got older I learned that he was in the 11th Airborne Division in the Philippines. I learned later that he made 3 combat jumps during WWII. At his funeral on Friday I learned something else. There was an older lady at the service who I had never seen before. I thought she must have been a friend of my grandparents who was coming to pay her respect. During the funeral those that were gathered were asked to share a story or just really anything about my grandfather. After a couple of small stories this lady spoke up. Her name was Patty Kelly Stevens. She was a survivor of the Japanese internment camp at Los Banos in the Philippines. My grandfather participated in the raid that freed her and approximately 2100 other prisoners hours before they were to be executed. I was completely floored.

Later she explained that he found her after reading a story about her in The Daily Oklahoman. He got in contact with her and they had lunch on the anniversary of the raid for the last few years.

I have some artifacts from WWII that my grandfather passed down to me. Now I have a new mission of reading any and everything I can get my hands on about that raid.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss but what a wonderful legacy your grandfather left for you. May you pass it on to future generations as your thanks to him.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My condolences on the loss of your grandfather. I would like to suggest that you, and anyone else that would like to pay tribute to a friend or family member that served, contact the General Tommy Franks Museum in Hobart, OK. For a $100.00 donation they will have a tribute banner made to display at he museum, or if you wish you may have it. It will have a picture of the vet, his name, rank and branch of service.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of his passing. Those guys did incredible things during trying times, too bad we're all not able to thank each one.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very, very sorry for your loss. I spent my high school years living with my grandparents. My grandfather was in the Army Air Corps on a B-17 during WW2 in the 8th Air force, stationed in England. He could fly, as he had been flying since he was 16 (1936). I lost him just shy of his 88th birthday in 2008. I miss him every day.

Here's a song that hurts, but I found comforting:

[video=youtube_share;NNL_wGZgV5Q]http://youtu.be/NNL_wGZgV5Q[/video]

Latest posts

Top Bottom