My new gun range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess they're a good idea if you want to be able to move it, but that's way more per square foot than I've paid for permanently-built buildings with garage doors, personnel doors and a concrete slab.

I stand to be corrected. We bought a 20' at our range years ago for $5K delivered. Evidently the supply has increased. Just looked online. 40' units are going from $1900-$3200 depending on condition and if they have two or three doors.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How wide are these things? 10 ft?

If so, a 40' one would be 400 square feet. At the "middle" price of $2550 that's $6.38 per square foot, which is actually less than my building cost. I was doing math in my head before and wasn't doing it correctly. (Imagine that!) This makes more sense!

Bryan

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used ones are around 2000 or so for 40 ft. New 40 ft. like mine are $4000 delivered. Camo or special paint are $4500 or so. Used ones are in various states of abuse but could be a good deal
if you aren't particular.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used ones are around 2000 or so for 40 ft. New 40 ft. like mine are $4000 delivered. Camo or special paint are $4500 or so. Used ones are in various states of abuse but could be a good deal
if you aren't particular.

Is it 40 x 10? If so, that's 400 square feet or $10/square foot. My first building in 2003 was 30 x 40 for around $12K, so same price. In 2009 I did a 30 x 65 that was $21K, so just a little over $10/sq foot. Being that we're almost in 2017, this probably isn't so bad after all.

I am concerned about you shooting in there. That thing really should have some good ventilation and something to protect the side walls from being shot through and/or sending a round back your direction. You very may well be on top of this, though, and I don't mean to assume you are not. It just concerned me seeing that target in the end and the raw side walls.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen one where a guy used 2X4's, built an exoskeleton around it, insulated and sheeted the outside with T-11, then put a roof over the top with shingles. It really looked good when he got done, but he had some money into it.
I'd have to look, but I think they are like 8' to 8'-6" outside width. They have to be transported down highways so have to meet those restrictions.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it 40 x 10? If so, that's 400 square feet or $10/square foot. My first building in 2003 was 30 x 40 for around $12K, so same price. In 2009 I did a 30 x 65 that was $21K, so just a little over $10/sq foot. Being that we're almost in 2017, this probably isn't so bad after all.

I am concerned about you shooting in there. That thing really should have some good ventilation and something to protect the side walls from being shot through and/or sending a round back your direction. You very may well be on top of this, though, and I don't mean to assume you are not. It just concerned me seeing that target in the end and the raw side walls.
He does have a bullet trap, but maybe line the inside of it with horse mat or plywood. I wouldn't be to concerned, these guys arent. http://www.shootingrangeindustries.com/modular-shooting-solutions/

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One really good sound insulation is that hard backed insulation We called it duct board it was yellow fiberglass on one side and aluminum on the other.
I did HVAC for my dad's business and others .

We had this 20 foot long duck that was 24" x 24" insulated inside with the yellow side showing into the inside.
You could yell into one end and the guy standing at the other end could hear it but it was not loud.

I worked at FAA and they had a sound room where they tested devices. It had egg crate foam .. but this was off the wall stuff with the protrusions like 10" long.
It was enclosed in a room and you could shut the door and the person inside could yell as loud as he could and outside NOTHING!.
Not a peep..You could bang hammers or boards together ,, not a peep.

Latest posts

Top Bottom