My son's first time shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took my 9 year old son to the Canadian County Gun Range today for his first time to shoot. He was very excited since I told him the plans yesterday. He about drove me crazy with the anxious behavior and asking if it was time to go.

Then this morning he woke up not feeling well. He wouldn't admit that he didn't feel well but you could see it in his face and could tell by his body language. I asked him a couple of times if he fell well enough to go and he always said yes. So we headed out about 3:00pm to go check out the range as I had never been to Canadian County Gun Range before.

When we showed up there were cars everywhere. It looked like there was a concert going on somewhere. We found a place to park and gathered our supplies and headed for the office. Upon arriving at the office we found that it was full of about three customers paying to get in. The office was tiny and the line quickly built up behind us. We paid our dues and setup in our area.

My brother was looking to test drive his Franken-AR he built. Over the course of the last six months he has slowly bought parts to build it. He still doesn't have a BCG so he borrowed one from a friend. I loaned him 200 rounds of 556 to feed his craving. My brother also brought his new Mossberg Plinkster 702 for my son to shoot as his first gun.

After about 15 minutes or so we were ready to get started. Our area was arranged to go down range and we hung our targets. My son and I returned, loaded his magazine and went over the fundamentals of safety.

He was so nervous about pulling the trigger. He had seen and heard my brother sending lead down range with his AR. He was worried that his gun would be that loud and kick. Was he ever relieved when it did not. I helped him with the first magazine with holding the gun properly, keeping his eye away from the scope, working the safety and pulling the trigger slowly. After that he did a pretty good job with only needing a few reminders to keep his finger off the trigger until he was on target.

Overall it was a very good day. I got to feed my addiction of shooting, shoot my brother's AR, shoot my Glock and teach my son to shoot. I think he has the bug now. But he didn't even get through his entire box of ammo (donated by a member of the forum, again I want to say Thank You to the member that made the generous donation, if he cares to come forward I will acknowledge him otherwise I will let him remain anonymous) before he started in with the fever. He became miserable quickly and started asking to go home. We loaded up after being at the range for about an hour and headed home. I think he was asleep in the back seat of the truck before we got out of the driveway of the range and has been asleep ever since.

Thank you to all of the members that offered to donate 100 rounds of 22LR to my son so that he could shoot. I hope I get to help out other members on the forum like you have offered to help me.

As requested I have attached some pictures...
2013-01-19 16.06.43.jpg
2013-01-19 16.06.46.jpg
2013-01-19 16.06.54.jpg

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cant say enough Good about this. Good on You, Good on the other Members. Your son (sick or not) will Always remember this trip with Youguys and I too Like hearing and seeing these stories. Thanks! Hope He's Better Soon.

harrahdeke

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
[First Reply on OKShooters]
Did the exact same thing this last weekend.
My 9yr old son had a blast with my little Belgium Browning SA-22 Takedown. We shot some paper at H&H and He loved it. The bug is firmly planted.
My 14yr old daughter loved the 22 as well and took a go at a 22 pistol and eventually my .45 ACP Sig P220 and didn't even flinch.
Mom went nuts with a rental 9mm and .40.

It was a great family day! Wish I had done this a lot sooner. Kids learned a healthy respect for firearms and we had a great time.!
I think I have found a great family activity!

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love seeing parents teach their kids how to shoot.
I take my 5yr old all the time. I got a glenfield model 75 .22lr he likes shooting. He is pretty decent for a 5yr old. He hits the paper! :D I watch him very carefully. He loves it. He's got a BB gun we mess with in the backyard and an air soft gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom