My wife bought me a big block…..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are ok cheeses, but you have got to try Mullins real Wisconsin Cheddars.
Aged - 2.jpg

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of you guys have the palate of a Lappet-faced vulture in your choice of cheese! Everyone "in the know" knows that only the best cheese is reserved for the few that get to experience the most delicate gastronomical delight this side of the Pecos.
mre21-7.jpg

Change My Mind 19072022232607.jpg

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the Tillamook cheddar, but my favorite is the Watonga longhorn Colby half wheel; one of those and a bag of the Watonga cheese curds is some good eating. The only place I’ve found it has been Crest, but it has been a little while since I’ve been there.
I have an old friend, met in '76, he was from Watonga and would bring Watonga cheese curds by the bagful and other Watonga cheese.

I can't recall the details, but some years ago it changed. IIRC Watonga Cheese closed, or was bought out, or something, and later the name came back with a different company assuming the name. Anyway, the original Watonga Cheese was so much better than what is sold nowadays.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mom and dad had friends that got the commodity cheese. They didn’t like it and gave it to us. That was some awesome cheese!
90 yr old neighbor when a kid growing up would give us the commodity cheese because she couldn't eat that much in a month before another block would show up. I hated cheese when a kid.
Man, has that story done a 180 now. I crave cheese.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know the Watonga cheese plant closed and if I’m thinking right it was was bought out and they moved it to Texas. Seems like the Watonga plant was damaged in a storm a lot of yeas back.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old friend, met in '76, he was from Watonga and would bring Watonga cheese curds by the bagful and other Watonga cheese.

I can't recall the details, but some years ago it changed. IIRC Watonga Cheese closed, or was bought out, or something, and later the name came back with a different company assuming the name. Anyway, the original Watonga Cheese was so much better than what is sold nowadays.
Yeah, the Watonga cheese at Crest is (was?) from Texas, not Watonga.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Clearfield Cheese Co. was a co, and buddy was a salesman for them in the 1970's. I loved that cheese and read where the company was bought out. I would like to try it again.

My wife's grandmother got .gov commodity cheese and she loved it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom