Name me a situation where you'd pick bolt-action over 10/22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my eye on that Ruger American 22lr but can't "honestly" say I have a good enough reason. What specific situations would you reach for the bolt over the semi (specifically 10/22) if you owned both?

If I was teaching scoped rifle fundamentals to a kid specifically for deer hunting, I could justify it. Or if I needed to fire sub-sonic 22lr for pesting. Or if I was competing in some competition and needed maximum accuracy.

However, none of those apply to me right now so I just wondered if there were other reasons for the bolt vs 10/22.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I'm shooting out the window, the bolt gun keeps the brass from flying all over the room. Other than that, you pretty much listed all the reasons that you don't need a bolt gun. I have two 10/22s and never use them anymore. One has never been fired. I use my bolt guns for all the reasons that you don't need a BG. Back when my Ruger was my first and only 22, I shot the crap out of it. It is a fun gun.

Trung Si Ma

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own three left-handed .22LR bolt action rifles (2xVudoo and 1xTikka) and four 10/22 variants (2xKidd SuperGrade, 1xLH Competition Model, 1xTakedown). My personal preference is a bolt over a semi. I will also say that I mostly shoot ELR (500 yards) and bullseye with my .22LR's. When I'm just going out to have fun, the Takedown with a suppressor is awful hard to beat!

It comes down to versatility and the bolt will do more of the things that I want to do.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love bolt guns , they usually deliver the most accuracy and they are easy on brass . When I go to the range I usually will take a stick shift before I take a gas gun simply for that reason alone .

Course I am not shooting a rimfire all that much .

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I just happened to have bought a Ruger American .22 lr yesterday.
This is the model I got.
https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/specSheets/8334.html
Unfortunately I haven't gotten to shoot it yet because of the weather.

I own a number of .22 Rf guns; several semi-autos, lever actions, a pump and a single shot and now I have a bolt action as well as a few handguns.
The new rifle doesn't really do anything the others can't but my hope is that it will be a little more accurate. It also came with a threaded barrel and I will very likely put a can on it in the near future. I live out in the country and occasionally have a need for pest/varmint control. Not really a problem but a little stealth now and then can be a good thing.
Besides, I wanted it.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a Ruger American Rimfire with a threaded barrel just so I could use my suppressor and subsonic ammo to be super quiet, in case I need to dispatch some varmint.
Haven't really used it for that but man, it's really quiet with CCI Quiet ammo; my pellet gun makes more noise.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Accuracy! The Anschutz I had that I sold to Mighty Mouse here was a bolt action that I’d say NO and I mean that 10/22 could hang with in accuracy.
I have a fully tricked out 10/ 22 that basically is only the action case stock, as everything else is some of the best after market parts out there, and it shoots as good as most any 10/22 but a quality bolt gun will out shoot it. Just saying

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own three left-handed .22LR bolt action rifles (2xVudoo and 1xTikka) and four 10/22 variants (2xKidd SuperGrade, 1xLH Competition Model, 1xTakedown). My personal preference is a bolt over a semi. I will also say that I mostly shoot ELR (500 yards) and bullseye with my .22LR's. When I'm just going out to have fun, the Takedown with a suppressor is awful hard to beat!

It comes down to versatility and the bolt will do more of the things that I want to do.
If I had a Vudoo or two, I'd want to shoot it, too.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Accuracy! The Anschutz I had that I sold to Mighty Mouse here was a bolt action that I’d say NO and I mean that 10/22 could hang with in accuracy.
I haven't had a chance to shoot my new Anschutz yet, but I do know a guy with a couple of Vudoo rifles that will give it a run for its money.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom