Need a carbine buffer locally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took my Mega build out today which I used an H buffer in. Seemed to be short stroking, not ejecting the brass and getting double feeds. Many times the bolt would be left half open and looked to be starting to strip the next round off but didn't quite make it. It has a BCM FA BCG if that matters. My thought is that the buffer is too heavy not letting the BCG the full rearward travel. This is a carbine length gas system with a DD barrel, DD gas block, DD Tube/Spring, and LMT H Buffer. I was using mil-spec ammo, btw.
Not sure if I can find a quality carbine buffer in Tulsa or not. Hate to spend more on shipping then the buffer costs.
Was using a 2 MOA red dot and my 3 rd groups were touching from about 40 yds. Then it got dark and never got it fully sighted in!
Hoping a lighter buffer will cure my woes....

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sports World has AR parts (don't know about buffers), as does Medlock's Firearms in Collinsville. TK Supply has some parts as well.

I don't know what brands any of these places carry with respect to buffer/tube/stock parts.

I just checked and the VLTOR buffer that came with my EMOD is a standard carbine buffer - its running on my middy, so I would swap it for your H-buffer if you really needed it today and couldn't find one in a store up there.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An H buffer should work fine in a carbine length system with a BCM FA BCG. A standard buffer may allow it to function better, but if it's that unreliable with an H buffer installed I'd be concerned about reliability with a standard buffer once the gun gets dirty or with lower powered commercial ammo.

I'm with Phil on this one. I'd be looking for a cause before replacing the buffer. You're using quality components so it should be running much better than that with the H installed.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you very much EZ, I got one one the way for a few $$ in shipping.

Phil, not eliminating a gas issue. This is the first time I have used a gas block (vs a front sight), but the tube is pinned correctly and back as far as it will go. Mags are PMAGS, and I'm quite generous with the lube.
It was like the BCG did not have the forward momentum to fully strip and chamber the round. I'd like to stick with the H buffer. Need to find a way to test good flow through the gas system. I'm starting to think it is a possibility the gas hole on the block may not be completly lined up with the hole on the barrel. Bit fuzzy on how that went together now.
I'll break it down and check the gas system over.

Maybe it's just me, but i don't think a lighter buffer will cure your problem.
I would look for gas, mag, or lube issues first.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you very much EZ, I got one one the way for a few $$ in shipping.

Phil, not eliminating a gas issue. This is the first time I have used a gas block (vs a front sight), but the tube is pinned correctly and back as far as it will go. Mags are PMAGS, and I'm quite generous with the lube.
It was like the BCG did not have the forward momentum to fully strip and chamber the round. I'd like to stick with the H buffer. Need to find a way to test good flow through the gas system. I'm starting to think it is a possibility the gas hole on the block may not be completly lined up with the hole on the barrel. Bit fuzzy on how that went together now.
I'll break it down and check the gas system over.

That is exactly why I marked both my gas-block and barrel at center of each before I assembled. One of those felt-tip-pin sized sharpies (super fine I think) works well for that.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure your gas key is snug and properly staked. I have seen people break the staking job to "clean it".

Also do you have and USGI mags? Magpuls fit extra snug.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pulled the HG off and the gas block and I could see where the gas block was not 100% lined up with the hole. It even took a little of parkerizing off the barrel. After several pencil marks I believe it's lined up good now. I can blow compressed air through the gas tube and feel it out the barrel. Hopefully that fixes it.
Thanks guys!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pulled the HG off and the gas block and I could see where the gas block was not 100% lined up with the hole. It even took a little of parkerizing off the barrel. After several pencil marks I believe it's lined up good now. I can blow compressed air through the gas tube and feel it out the barrel. Hopefully that fixes it.
Thanks guys!

I'll bet that cures it! If it were me, once I had it function tested to ensure reliability, I'd have the block and barrel drilled and pinned so you never have to worry about it moving on you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom