need advice on CC setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRig515

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm am turning 21 in a few months and hope to get my CCW a soon as possible. i have been looking at different options for my EDC. i want to ask yall what you guys are carrying (firearm, holster, etc) i plan on carrying a .45 and probably a inside the waistband holster.
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

KilkennyArms

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Springfield XDM comes with everything you need, holster, mag holster, loader and if you buy the compact version you get a small mag for CC and a lager one to use at the range.

osy79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum BigRig! Looking for a little more info to help you out.

1- Is there a reason you're choosing .45?

2- Are you looking for single stack?

3- What capacity would you like to have on an everyday basis?

4- What kind of weight would you like to have?

5- Are you interested in a 1911?

6- Are there any calibers you're invested in already?

I started off carrying an HK45c, but I never felt comfortable with the size & weight (actually prefer carrying the full size HK45 over the compact). I moved to the XDS and havent looked back.

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glock is coming out with a new .45. It might be worth taking a look at. As far as holsters I like the ones by Kytac. I have used most IWB, OWB, pocket, revolver. He makes a great holster. I think he still makes packages...holster, mag pouch, light holder. Give him a call.
Mark

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a little on the large side (like Liberace is a little flamboyant) and IWB hasn't worked well for me. However, all the extra fabric in my pants mean pocket carry works pretty well up to compact, thin 9mm (Ruger LC9, etc).

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not exactly sure which sort of .45 ACP you are considering. A full size, or commander sized, 1911 is pretty heavy to all-day carry, if its the non-aluminum alloy version. It can be done, but it will tug on your belt. Gotta have a good, gun-rated belt anyway. The DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB will work here, as will a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. The 1911 version of the Cozy Partner is partly cut away at the muzzle, on the side against your pants, not your body side. I'm conjecturing they are trying to reduce bulk of the holster rig.

I can carry a Glock 30 SF in a DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB all day long, without a problem. The spare 10 round mag(s) will go in either a Bianchi Model 21 ISP pouch or a Galco or DeSantis OWB double pouch.

The 30 SF is very controllable for repeat shots. Its surprisingly accurate. Its only a tad bigger than a Glock 19/23. Weight difference, with a fully loaded magazine, from a 19 to a 30 is about 2 oz. so not a huge issue.

Tanampo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not exactly sure which sort of .45 ACP you are considering. A full size, or commander sized, 1911 is pretty heavy to all-day carry, if its the non-aluminum alloy version. It can be done, but it will tug on your belt. Gotta have a good, gun-rated belt anyway. The DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB will work here, as will a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. The 1911 version of the Cozy Partner is partly cut away at the muzzle, on the side against your pants, not your body side. I'm conjecturing they are trying to reduce bulk of the holster rig.

I can carry a Glock 30 SF in a DeSantis Cozy Partner IWB all day long, without a problem. The spare 10 round mag(s) will go in either a Bianchi Model 21 ISP pouch or a Galco or DeSantis OWB double pouch.

The 30 SF is very controllable for repeat shots. Its surprisingly accurate. Its only a tad bigger than a Glock 19/23. Weight difference, with a fully loaded magazine, from a 19 to a 30 is about 2 oz. so not a huge issue.

+1 on the Glock 30SF. I'm a Glock guy all the way, though I carry .40SW exclusively. Appendix in waistband, Archangel or Zach from Dale Fricke.

1911Kevin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your like the .45 ACP, the best choice if your not a small person, is the 1911. As Buzzdraw stated though, they can be pretty heavy for all day, especially if you don't have a solid holster and heavy belt. There are options for a lighter frame to shave around 10 oz., but they generally involve a alloy type frame. Nothing wrong with that unless your going to shoot a ton. My understanding is they are not generally designed for heavy heavy range use.
I personally carry a 4" 1911, but I am a bigger guy, so it doesn't affect much for me.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with everything stated above.

YOU need to decide on a few things first.... Single or double action, Single or double stack magazine. What size gun will work with your body frame.

Personally.... I carry the .45 XDM 3.8 with a IWB from Harwell holsters during the colder months. The PPKS in 380 when it warms up.

P

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to hear that you're trying to prepare ahead of time. My suggestion is decide what you want to carry first. I've carried my 1911 Commander, my HK USP compact .45 and my HK P2000 in 357 Sig all with great comfort. The only reason I moved from my 1911 to my HK's is round capacity. I love carrying my 1911,.. it is thin, not too heavy and does not print at all but I moved on to a pistol with no thumb safety and 12 round magazines for everyday carry. I trained hard with the thumb safety but after thinking about how I might react to an "event",.. I decided to go for the change to no safety.

I know plenty of people that carry full size 1911's so you'll be able to make anything work. You just need to have a pistol that you shoot well and are comfortable with. As far as holsters go, I love my Galco King Tuk and Crossbreed Supertuck (essentially the same holster). They ride tight to my body and hold my HK P2000 very well.

Like I said before, you can make any gun functional as long as it's reasonable size. Glock, Springfield, Colt, S&W, HK, etc,.. everybody makes holsters for them. The trick is finding a gun that you love to shoot. You can find a holster for it.

While I was waiting for my permit, I wore my rig around the house and tried out a few different positions on my body and made sure I found the best position for comfort and ability to draw.

Good luck!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom