Need direction purchasing a pistol as a gift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll tell you the last time I was purchased a gun the shop manager and just attended an ATF seminar for FFLs. The message was pretty clear that they [ATF] was going to be closely monitoring the books and the FFLs better cross their T(s) and dot their I(s).

The NSSF link is good advice and like others have said, go and buy the gun and don’t mention you intend on giving it as a gift unless you want to play 20 questions. The dealer can use their own discretion to deny selling you a firearm if they believe it’s a straw purchase.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's true...lots of FFL dealers like to make up their own rules and swear it's the law.

I had a dealer tell me it was illegal to receive a gun thru the mail (or by any carrier) from a non-licensed person. I told him it was not illegal and said he was free to not do so but it wasn't illegal. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about. He went so far as to say it was illegal to receive a gun from any non-licensed person for any reason. I asked him if he took trades or bought guns from people which, of course he did. His response was "that's not the same thing". I showed him on the ATF website FAQs where it clearly stated it was OK. Then he just said, "Well, it's illegal in this state." We were in Colorado where I'd held an FFL for nearly 20 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom