Need help, don't know what I'm doing wrong -Lake McMurtry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Early spring feed will be crawdads, shads, minnows, perch.
As it warms up, worms, Then grasshopper and bugs.

Spring will be shallow water, deeper as water warms.

Color on your artificial is important. I have had days where ANYTHING thrown would catch, as long as it was red. Next day, it was yellow for bites. The next day would be purple. I make 6-10 casts and nothing hits, change lure, change color.
Great idea. I'll try that out next time. I tend to stick to a couple colors.

Sig365CCW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty windy but caught a couple of small bass in local pond today on spinner.
IMG_0488.jpeg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to say Rooster Tail spinner.
That bass above has one I like in it's mouth.

I just bought 5 more Rooster Tail brand spinners today.
Walmart Ozark trail ones will not spin DO NOT BUY.

I like a white one and work the shore line.
But like said water is a little cool still in some areas.

If your line is monofilament and has wrinkles you can stretch it and make it straight again and it will cast much better.
Something I do often.

ElmerFudd

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
Like a couple of others have said, knowing where the fish will be is a good starting point. Target a specific fish and do a little research on where to find them. The fish finders are great, and I use one. However, people caught fish before all the fancy gadgets were around because they knew where to look for fish. I don’t get a lot of free time to fish, but I’ll often make the time after a big rain because I know that I can usually catch a mess of channel cat if the creeks are running hard and muddy. I’ll set up at the mouth of a creek, and I’ll fish on the bottom with worms. As a general rule, I’ll catch a good mess of fish. If I were throwing a top water lure, I’d go home with an empty stringer. Basically, learn about the fish you’re targeting, and I bet that you’ll have more success.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that the one by the power plan? Never fished there. I have a small 10ft plastic boat, one reason I'm sticking to smaller lakes most of the time. With friends or renting bigger boats I fish Keystone, Skiatook, and Eufaula.
Power plant north of 412 0n 177
I know a good bank fishing spot on the NE side of the lake. Pull truck down close, flat ground for lawnchairs

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your problem could be that you are not holding your mouth right. Try holding your lips like you had just bitten a lemon, then make a few casts, if nothing happens try moving your lips to a whistling position, you can even whistle if you want, to get the feel of it, but keep it soft, fish know this trick. Other techniques include the grimace, which sometimes comes naturally, and even a smile, which can sometimes confuse fish, over the years I've come to been able to read a fishes mind, really nothing more than a metaphysical connection, brought on by copious amounts of alcohol, but the point I'm trying to make is that when a fish sees you smiling they become very vulnerable and confused, they have talked it over, they know you don't know what your doing, all of your gear is outdated stuff from Bass Pro, and you haven't caught any of their friends all day, and yet you're smiling, it's reverse psychology, and it's a killer.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
FISHING: That's why they don't call it catching.

You remember the Flying Lure?
1709607376434.png

I had a few of them and threw them out over a dock where everyone else was fishing. A D bird saw it and I caught a D bird. The fish were really looking at it but the bird swooped in and took it. Everyone on the dock was laughing so hard when I was reeling in that D bird.

Latest posts

Top Bottom