Need help ID-ing this bayonet (found in tornado debris)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was helping with tornado cleanup/demo with my church in Moore today (still a LOT of work to be done) and found this bayonet. The homeowner was not there to ask. I cannot figure out what it is, but I figure someone here will know :)
[Hopefully these pix aren't too big...]

It's very rusty, so some details are lost. It's 20" long, including the "muzzle." It's not a blade-style, but has a squarish or star cross section from the four fullers (sometimes erroneously called "blood grooves").

I didn't get a picture, but if you notice, it doesn't taper to a point, but a more like a slotted screwdriver does. (Perhaps not original.)

It's outer diameter is only 1", which narrows down the calibers it could be for.

You can see it above and here: there is a grooved spring release at the mortise.

It has some Arabic numerals; seems to be "1119." The spring release is on the right.

It'll buff out. ~Joe dirt

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That thing would make for a nasty piece of flying debris!
Right?? We've all heard the crazy stories about straw embedded in hardwood trees several inches and I've seen a former 2x4 through a car door (cheap imported steel...), so I can't imagine this thing...

Good news though, Its probably gonna be easier to clean now than if it were covered in cosmoline! :D
hahaha!

It'll buff out. ~Joe dirt
Just a little spit and 0000 steel wool, right? :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom