Need rifle camo ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to paint my Grendel in some sort of camo pattern. I'm thinking that desert camo would probably work best in Oklahoma's winter foliage....probably wouldn't be too bad with our dry summer foliage either!

I need help in finding a good pattern. What do you guys suggest? Anyone have any pics of their rifle in a desert pattern? Should I be looking at different colors?

Here's a pic of my rifle:

[Broken External Image]

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously look into the dip coatings, they have some amazing camo's to choose from.
We have one up here near tulsa that does really nice work.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Less is more....if you are truly interested in camoflaging it for utility purposes then you don't need to spend a lot of time and money.

The only goal is to 'mute' the appearance of the rifle. A simple undercoat of sand or tan, with overlaying blotches or patterns of brown, green followed by a complete light dusting of OD will do the job in 20-30 minutes for the cost of a couple cans of paint. Easy to touch up...not a disaster when the gun get's dinged, scratched and used.

Of course if you want to have a conversation piece you can spend a lot more time and money.

Here's one link that covers the basics. They use Aervoe paint, but you can get the same results (maybe with less 'true' color) from Krylon...and you can modify the colors to suit your liking.

http://op4guy.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-paint-your-carbine-by-pat-rogers.html

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Less is more....if you are truly interested in camoflaging it for utility purposes then you don't need to spend a lot of time and money.

The only goal is to 'mute' the appearance of the rifle. A simple undercoat of sand or tan, with overlaying blotches or patterns of brown, green followed by a complete light dusting of OD will do the job in 20-30 minutes for the cost of a couple cans of paint. Easy to touch up...not a disaster when the gun get's dinged, scratched and used.

Of course if you want to have a conversation piece you can spend a lot more time and money.

Here's one link that covers the basics. They use Aervoe paint, but you can get the same results (maybe with less 'true' color) from Krylon...and you can modify the colors to suit your liking.

http://op4guy.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-paint-your-carbine-by-pat-rogers.html

I got the same exact advice from a police officer buddy last night! He said that its easier to repaint the rifle anytime you want and can change it up for the different environments. I believe that's what I plan on doing. Plus I already have the Krylon out in my garage.

Last edited:

zandroes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used krylon on my 12 gauge and it came out good. Used couple branches and leaves to break it up. Then placed a mesh material over to shade it a little.
Mesh material was a bag was a bag oranges came in.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google "Camoflauge Rifle" there are sooo many options to choose form but ultimately I would agree that a DIY will do just as well as some high end deal.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Biggsly...those look great. Are those yours and did you do them yourself?

No. "I wish" lol. I was just on Yahoo looking at camo rifles. I have thought about doing one of mine. I might do one of the next rifles I build.
By the way, your gun looks great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom