Need some help with possible collector interest & values for 1863 C.W. Musket marked W. mason, WWI SMLE III*, Martini Henry, S.A. 1884 trapdoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Message sent back on the Trapdoor in short the barrel / receiver are an 1873 trapdoor made in 1883 , the stock and breech block are from an 1884 . It does have a Buffington sight from an 1884 . Building these from parts was pretty common in the early 20th century and its an old refinish . I would value it at around $700 to $800 as a shooter as it has no specific collector value.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bit late to the party, as this post is month old. But just in case you (or anyone) are still interested here is some info anyway.

The Gun pictured is a MK IV. It is a 577/450. There are 3 variations of this model. Collectors argue over the features that identify each.

The Henry part of the name comes from the 5 groove Henry rifling barrel. The bore consists of 5 flats and 5 peaks. The top of the peaks and the center of the flats, the minor diameter, are .450". The corners of the flats , is the major diameter.

Martini's have a 8 in long tapered throat. Mk IV's taper from .471 -.468 major diameter to the bore which .464 major diameter.

This bullet is either paper patched or lead. The standard weight bullet used in the Martini Henry is 480 grains of 12-1 hardness, roughly equivalent to wheel weights. The barrel twist how ever is optimal for 550 grs. bullets.

This gun has a cult following. Some say you must watch the movie Zulu on regular basis as part of the ownership ritual.

The cartridge for this gun was a foil wrapped cartridge. An individual cartridge is fragile and expensive.

Around 2003-2004 IMA rescued somewhere north of 40,000 such guns from the Nepalese cache and has been selling them ever since. IMA will sell you one of these guns, uncleaned as it came from the arsenal for $895. Clean they get $1050. That is full retail price.

You can shoot these guns. The IMA guns are some of the best an nicest Martini's to come on the market ever. Bore are pristine.

I have a number of these guns. I shoot them. All that is need is brass, bullets and dies.

Dedicated brass in 577/450 is made by a number of companies most notably Bertram. Not cheap but good brass. The more common way is purchase brass formed from brass 24 gauge shotgun shells. You can load with smokeless but requires special care and knowledge. X-Ring service provides formed brass

Dies are available but expensive from Lee and CH4D.

Moulds from CBE in and X-ring services.

Best supplier for shooting this gun is Buffalo Arms.

I have been shooting these guns for over 20 years now. They are fun guns and I am willing to share that knowledge if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Top Bottom