Need some tutoring...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info folks, do appreciate it! Talked to a guy here at work today, he has worked as a LEO in the past, and I knew he has done a few small matches, he said his fiance and him would probably try to go to some matches with us if we start going. Also, are there any restrictions on ammo, i.e. no reloads, certain bullet types, etc?

Sounds like plenty of stuff going on across the state, are only issues is being in the "dead" part of the state (as far as these events go) and having a 10 and 11 year old at home. Does anyone see many kids at any of these clubs during matches, or did most of yall start earlier than us and have them out by now LOL? We should be able to find sitters, just curious. Thanks again, keep the info/advice/opinions coming!

Yes, you see kids at these matches. You know your kids better that I do. Some disciplines have more idle time than other. I'd suggest using the sitter route the first time so you can concentrate on the safety and procedures. Once you are comfortable, you may want to sign them up. I’d say the most accommodating is Steel Challenge using a rimfire pistol or rifle.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, are there any restrictions on ammo, i.e. no reloads, certain bullet types, etc?

Mostly there are no restrictions other than you can't use steel or steel core bullets. I've never ran into issues rejecting my reloads. However, some ranges will not allow steel and/or aluminum cased ammo. Always ask and/or bring enough factory brass cased ammo.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks MP! And all others for the info thus far, as stated in OP, I'm 100% ou of the loop as far as this match stuff goes, so any and all help is appreciated! I know its hard to "sum up" something with so many layers, but so far I've come up with a couple things...1) No need to worry about mod'ing out anything since it will put us up in class and out of our experience level...2) I may want to look into a 9mm, since the only semiauto's that I have are 1911 45's (my wife has a G17 and G19), even if I just move down to a 9mm in a 1911 platform...and a semiauto 22 LR pistol might be a good addition, all we currently have is a Taurus wheelgun...for the moment though, we'll probably "run what we brung" LOL

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(my wife has a G17 and G19)
we'll probably "run what we brung" LOL

That is really the best to start out with!

A couple of years ago I bought a gun to use with USPSA without looking at all of the rules, thinking I could use it as a production gun, a M&P .40 that included a 9mm conversion barrel. Nope, it was not compliant. Not all is lost as I've shot it in limited a couple of times and it was the one I was using on pins Saturday. But it pays to get a few matches under your belt with hardware on hand. Then go the direction of your desires. Yell, if you need to borrow something. If I don't have it, I may know who does.

I've seen a few really competitive shooters with 17s and 19s in production class. And no real big need to buy a G34 to gain 3/4" over a G17. There is lower hanging fruit to grab first.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks @Mad Professor, I forgot to add you to my original post. To the OP, pretty much any of us that shoot matches can and will help you out with equipment, just ask. Really it is just about getting out there and shooting the matches. Hope to see you sometime, If you ever get the itch for Bullseye, let me know. I have a lot of improvement to make, but love to shoot it.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a pin match in Duncan every month if thats any closer to you. Only two left this year I think. She needs to shoot one with a dot on it before she decides to invest a lot of money on one. I shoot much better under stress with a dot.

Quoted for TRUTH!! I don't shoot well with a red dot at all ... I wind up "chasing" the dot. It drives me NUTS!!

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Sanford[/USER] is a bowling pin shooter and takes trophies frequently.
Hah! "Frequently" was a one-time second place ... in carbine, which in my case was a Hi-Point .45 with iron sights - the winner was shooting a lever action (in .357 if I remember correctly). But I sure enjoy trying!

As for magazine capacity, the bowling pin handgun matches at Firearms Solutions limit everyone to 8 rounds regardless of magazine capacity - this is primarily to level the field allowing revolver shooters to be competitive ... also no optics allowed for handgun.

The PCC and rifle matches do allow optics and you can load up whatever magazine capacity you can, but the matches are usually over fast enough that it's rare anyone has a chance to shoot eight rounds, much less more.

I think I'd like to try a steel challenge match - but I'm just not up to the running around some of the others require.

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The PCC and rifle matches do allow options and you can load up whatever magazine capacity you can, but the matches are usually over fast enough that it's rare anyone has a chance to shoot eight rounds, much less more.

Ain't that the truth. About one miss and you lose.

Or have a problem and it's over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom