Neighbors and new fence build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fence and property line matters with neighbors gets tricky.

Our back yard is fenced all around, about a 2 lot size yard, with a mix of who all owns all the fences.

On the left side- on our side we have chain link and on their side they have wood, me and that neighbor are close friends.

On the back side- we touch 3 neighbors yards that we dont really associate with. We had chain link only back there when I moved in here 10 years ago that was apparently ours as it was attached to and looked like the other portion on the side of the yard, but since both neighbors on both sides of us had wood on their sides and I wanted more privacy I decided to put wood up back there too but on the inside of the yard and left my chain link fence up on the other side for those other 3 yards to utilize.

On the right side- we had wood now we have chain link. My neighbor on the right is a very close friend, our kids grew up with each other, we watch out for each other, etc.

Last year about this time we had a storm out here that produced a quick small down draft or gustnado or whatever. It hit us first knocking in our garage door, tore our roof off in pieces as it went thru, then went over the house and came down in the back yard and on its path out knocked down the wooden fence between me and the neighbor to the right and then it also knocked down the other side of his yards fence facing his other neighbor on its way thru. The good side of that wooden fence on both sides faced inward toward his yard with the ugly side of the fence or the side with the poles facing our yards, so basically it appeared to me that it was his fence because his back fence that was left standing matched the fence that was downed on both sides. His neighbor on his other side has chain link all around the rest of his yard, which is the end of our block. So. We tried to prop it back up but it was old and wouldnt stay up so I helped him tear it all down and we hauled it off to a pit we have for bonfires out at our farm. The other neighbor is a old dude so he didnt help. A few weeks went by with all of our dogs becoming one family because all 3 yards were now basically one yard.

Eventually one very early Saturday my neighbor and his father worked on putting up chain link fence on both sides to replace the wooden fence that had been there. He told me he was just going chain link instead of back to wood because he saved money and he didnt think I would mind. I didnt really care either because we spend alot of time together anyways cooking out and swimming in each others pools and all we needed anyways was something to seperate his 3 dogs from my 3 dogs and the one dog on the other side. He didnt and hasnt asked me for any money towards the fence. I would have been more than happy to help out but he never asked me to and so I didnt. We're in good financial shape and can pay and he is pretty well off himself with his own business so I didnt figure he went in the hole on it. I did haul in a bunch of railroad ties to help anchor the bottom of the chain link on both sides. I kind of feel like a cheap basturd for not offering to kick in but I also just figure it was his fence- it was on his property line- so it was his problem. My wife thought then and still thinks otherwise. Whatever. If it is ever a problem between us I will write the guy a check for 1/2 the costs.

We're good budds and Ive helped him with alot of stuff and he has helped me with stuff- but it didnt start out that way. When we first met it was a strange event. I had been here about a month. He came over and asked to borrow a lawn mower one day. I gave him my backup mower. He used it, and broke the handle using it. Then just left it on the doorstep with a package of JB Weld and a sorry note. JB Weld. No way that was fixing a broke in half metal handle. I didnt know him and it really pissed me off about him just leaving it on the step with a note. But, being new neighbors I didnt want to start off a relationship by arguing over something so insignificant, or worse knocking him out over it. So I went to the lawn mower shop, bought a new handle, installed it, and then left the reciept in his mailbox with a sorry note of my own. A few days later he paid the $15 too in my mailbox- all in change. We've laughed about that a million times and been good friends ever since.

I had my 3/4 wolf-dog hybrid here for awhile one summer. He usually stays up at my other place in northern California but I brought him home with me here for a visit. He was a good and fairly obedient dog when he wanted to be but he had wild in him and if bored he could be a very destructive animal who would eat just about anything and everything. Even though he had 2 lots here to run on he was used to roaming on acres up on the mountain and he got bored here. So he dug holes, he chewed stuff up, etc- including slats in the right side neighbors wooden fence, to which I replaced one at a time- or as he ate thru them. I think he was trying to get to my neighbors female Yorkie probably. I eventually just went down to Ace and stocked up on em while he was here. I also remember my neighbor thanking me too for fixing what he called at the time, 'HIS' fence, which was a little dilapidated and actually needed some new slats anyways. So that memory was in my mind when arguing with the wife over paying him for 1/2 of the fence, but she is always right no matter what so whatever. Waaa.

Last edited:

sting75ray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember years ago when we lived in town the two guys across the street could never get along. There was no fence at all between them and when one of them decided to put up a 6ft privacy fence he decided it would only be right if he asked his neighbor his thoughts on it. The guy next door threw a fit and said he wanted a privacy fence as well but there was no way he was going in on the cost. The first guy ended up paying for the whole fence and then only a month later the second guy built his fence 1ft away from the other fence. First guy went to him and asked WTH was he thinking and his answer was I don't like you and I did not want to see your fence from my backyard so I put up my own. The area between the 2 fences grew tall with weeds and was always catching trash. These 2 guys would come out of their houses screaming at each other everyday. Thinking back now I need to drive by there one of these days and see if both fences are still up. This was back in about 1976 or 77. I am sure o ne of them have moved by now.

okav8tor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to coordinate the repair of quite a bit or perimeter shared fence in our neighborhood, I contacted the neighbors about sharing the cost since we shared the fence. Most agreed and shared the cost 50 / 50 . Since it is a benefit to both parties I would ask them to share in the cost. If they do great if they don't you are no worse off than you are now.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post on the inside with the HOTWIRE just below the top on the inside.

It's there to keep the dogs from jumping up and climbing over.

Yeah, really .......... that's why it is there.

troofs............

Latest posts

Top Bottom