Re-title vehicle of deceased relative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no useful information, but I would think that the fact that their is still a loan in place on the vehicle might possibly complicate the process a little. Just something to consider.
There was a lien on my dad’s title. Luckily the car had been paid off. I contacted the lieholder and faxed them the same info and they sent a release.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no useful information, but I would think that the fact that their is still a loan in place on the vehicle might possibly complicate the process a little. Just something to consider.

Thats what i was moderately concerned with as well. But OTOH, --- the vehicle was struck while standing still at a stoplight - the other parties insurance carrier has accepted full responsibility -- the car has to get fixed somehow

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember you're not the first one this has happened to.
The carriers want to get the file closed and its not their money.
If they think you are playing silly games, they get suspicious fast and complicate things.
Don't over-share.
Give them the information they ask for.

With the lean, you will have to deal with the lean holder.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had to do the same thing last summer. Ende up going toa couple different tag agencies and getting all sorts of different and incorrect information. Finally found a tag agency on May Ave just north of Memorial in NW OKC where the ladies clearly know what they're doing. Told me exactly what I needed to do and what paperwork I needed to have. Brought in death certificate and signed an affidavit and was out in about 15 minutes.

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my stepmother passed unexpectedly 4 months ago. No will, no probate, and the last years of her life she lived in a rented patio home

She had no children of her own and no other next of kin besides a cousin who lives out of town. I “inherited” a grumpy chihuahua who bites and currently have a storage unit full of furniture and appliances I am trying to figure out what to do with - would much rather give them to someone who can use them than just take to the landfill

And a car. I asked the cousin about the car and she didn’t want it. Said “just keep it”

We still share the same last name for whatever that’s worth as the woman never re-married after my dad passed, so I just got insurance for it, make the payment as it still has a small amount owed on it , but drive it seldom

Was planning to re-title it after the lien was cleared but a situation yesterday is causing me to need to accelerate the timetable.

when the sun came out, I decided to get all the vehicles washed and top everything off with gas - was sitting at a stop light and was rear ended.
100% no fault accident but body shop owner stated that the other parties insurance company may not Pay the shop direct and might only pay the titled owner, or have an and/or situation

Was hoping this would be a pretty simple, take title and death certificate to the dmv and get it done but was unsure

thanks in advance if anyone has any insight
Most states have an affidavit of heirship process to transfer title which is fairly simple.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my stepmother passed unexpectedly 4 months ago. No will, no probate, and the last years of her life she lived in a rented patio home

She had no children of her own and no other next of kin besides a cousin who lives out of town. I “inherited” a grumpy chihuahua who bites and currently have a storage unit full of furniture and appliances I am trying to figure out what to do with - would much rather give them to someone who can use them than just take to the landfill

And a car. I asked the cousin about the car and she didn’t want it. Said “just keep it”

We still share the same last name for whatever that’s worth as the woman never re-married after my dad passed, so I just got insurance for it, make the payment as it still has a small amount owed on it , but drive it seldom

Was planning to re-title it after the lien was cleared but a situation yesterday is causing me to need to accelerate the timetable.

when the sun came out, I decided to get all the vehicles washed and top everything off with gas - was sitting at a stop light and was rear ended.
100% no fault accident but body shop owner stated that the other parties insurance company may not Pay the shop direct and might only pay the titled owner, or have an and/or situation

Was hoping this would be a pretty simple, take title and death certificate to the dmv and get it done but was unsure

thanks in advance if anyone has any insight
Title 42 is pretty easy. I would first try what swaprat said

Latest posts

Top Bottom