People are delinquent on almost everything they owe money on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll start by saying that I got my first credit card in 2001 and I have NEVER had a balance and pay it off every month. I use it for everything I can to get the cash back.

My wife lost her credit card so I cancelled it and ordered a new one. I was changing over all the bills I pay with it to the new card number and had to call the company that picks up my trash because I had a payment scheduled for the same day I cancelled the card. The same day the payment was due. I was worried I was going to miss a payment and see a $5 late fee.

I explained to the person, that answered the phone, that I didn’t want to miss the payment and asked if the payment was processed on the old card. She didn’t see a payment and told me we could wait until next week to see if the payment will process. I told her I didn’t want to pay the extra $5 and she replied that she wouldn’t charge me that anyway because I had never paid late.

What caught my attention was when she told me that the trash company now had hundreds of accounts that were delinquent. She said it was a real effort to account for those who were late.

Our trash service is $22.50 per month and if folks can’t keep up with that, we’re in trouble.

I guess my expectations of humanity are way overrated. People lived way beyond their means and now the chickens are home to roost.

Credit-card and car-loan delinquencies are at their highest point in more than a decade​

Consumer debt keeps climbing, and the strain is showing in the mounting number of car-loan and credit-card delinquencies, according to new data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

While many U.S. consumers’ finances are holding up, Tuesday’s data shows that some troubled pockets are forming, with lower-income households and younger consumers falling behind faster, researchers say.

Total household debt, including mortgages, car loans, credit cards and student loans, climbed to $17.5 trillion in the fourth quarter, according to the New York Fed’s quarterly report on household debt.
As inflation rates cool, New York Fed researchers note that is a roughly 1% quarterly rate of growth, which is on par with the previous quarter.

But researchers are particularly watching credit-card balances and car loans, for which transitions into delinquency keep climbing above prepandemic levels. “This signals increased financial stress, especially among younger and lower-income households,” Wilbert van der Klaauw, an economic research adviser at the New York Fed, said in a statement.

And while delinquencies are rising for all demographics, the researchers said credit-card delinquencies are particularly pronounced among millennials — the generation born between 1980 and 1994 — and among the lowest quartile of households by income, whose debts and basic expenses eat up a larger share of household funds.

Those debts are also pressing on households as student-loan payments resume. This quarter, student-loan balances were essentially flat, gaining $2 billion to stand at $1.6 trillion by the New York Fed’s count.

Consumers tacked on an additional $50 billion in credit-card debt during the fourth quarter, which includes the holiday shopping season. Americans’ card balances now stand at $1.13 trillion.

During the fourth quarter, 8.5% of credit-card debt became 30 or more days past due and 6.3% flowed into serious delinquency, meaning it was at least 90 days past due.
The second quarter of 2011 was the last time serious delinquency rates were higher, New York Fed data shows.

The percentages are on an annualized basis.

Car-loan balances have climbed to $1.6 trillion​

Meanwhile, car-loan balances added another $12 billion to climb to $1.6 trillion in the fourth quarter.

For car loans, 7.6% of debt became 30 days late and 2.6% became 90 days late. The second quarter of 2010 was the last time the share of car-loan debt was higher for delinquencies that were at least 90 days behind.

The car-loan delinquencies underscore the high cost of cars these days, particularly for buyers with lower credit scores.

Car buyers with low credit scores who need financing face steep borrowing costs, with interest rates on new-car loans for subprime borrowers ranging from 17% to 22% last year, according to Fitch Ratings.

During the fourth quarter, nearly 16% of people who needed financing to buy a new car were going to spend at least $1,000 monthly, not including car-insurance costs.
The average transaction price on a new car as of December was $48,759, according to Cox Automotive.

Like many aspects of the economy right now, when it comes to debt, mixed signals point toward strengths as well as weaknesses. Although delinquencies are increasing, the New York Fed numbers show that more household debt is current compared with just before the start of the pandemic in early 2020.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240309_083456_Samsung Internet.jpg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would be nice is if there was a credit card debt guru member here.

Then they could give us all lessons on how to not use our credit cards and to reduce our debt.

Seems like there is a need for that. Someone should start a business like that. Maybe even have a radio show.
That would be beneficial. 👍

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“The masses are asses” momma used to say. Maybe she wasn’t wrong.

“Being normal IS broke” Dave Ramsey

In many ways, since the 1980’s, access to easy and cheap credit has artificially inflated the economy and purchasing power, which has led to prosperity for some. But it’s not the borrowers who have seen this wealth gain.

Live cheaply. Don’t live to impress others or their expectations. Drive paid for cars. Don’t buy stuff on credit cards you cannot afford to pay cash for at the time of purchase. Invest for the future, save for a rainy day and don’t overbuy on housing. Also, student loans have been sold as a “guarantee” for a better job/life. That isn’t the case in many people’s instances. Sometimes, just being a welder/lineman/construction worker is the order of the day. Nothing wrong with being a hardworking, blue collar earner. Just avoid the debt trap and stuff-itis.

These principles have worked for generations and when “we” as a society got away from that and built a house of cards, it’s going to come home to roost at some point.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would be nice is if there was a credit card debt guru member here.

Then they could give us all lessons on how to not use our credit cards and to reduce our debt.

Seems like there is a need for that. Someone should start a business like that. Maybe even have a radio show.

I'm too busy posting on OSA so.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom